Driving Miss Albany

Chapter Twenty-One!

Driving Miss Albany

May 2013 - The Los Angeles Ministry

Five months had passed since Primo stepped down has Papa Emeritus, he had returned to his duties in his department on the fifth floor at the Los Angeles Ministry. His reign was now over, he had no authority at the unholy church anymore. Primo had settled back into his old routine, he rarely mingled with his family unless it was a special occasion. Secondo had been touring with his ghouls, he was enjoying his new Papa Emeritus duties outside of the Ministry. His promise to Albany had been kept, he had arranged for Phil to give her some driving lessons after his tour had ended. But Papa Nihil had insisted that he should be present at every driving lesson Albany took with his favourite ghoul, he wanted to make sure that his youngest child was being taught safely. 

The Los Angeles Ministry's car park was almost empty, the Clergy employees had returned to their families outside of the unholy church. It was just after 5pm, the sun was shining bright in the evening sky. Albany was ready to her take her first driving lesson with Phil, her Brother's promise was now in motion. Phil had gifted Albany with a driving book just before he had gone on tour with Secondo, he wanted her to learn the basic American highway code and the traffic signs. Albany had memorised most of the traffic signs, but her Father had been interfered with her studies. He thought he knew best, but he hardly knew what any of the traffic signs meant in the book since he hadn't driven for decades. Papa Nihil had insisted that Albany used his Fiat Dino Coupè, his old vehicle was sitting in the garage most of the time. The Clergy had made sure the former Papa's vehicle was in tip top condition, it's engine still purred like a new born kitten.

Albany checked the rear view mirror, she made sure the side mirrors were positioned at the right angle. She altered the driving seat and wind down her window, she even checked if the window wipers were working. There wasn't a single rain cloud in the sky, but her Father wanted her to check them just in case it rained while she was driving around the car park. Putting her seat belt on Albany revived up the engine, the sounds of the classic vehicle caused her Father to chuckle. 

" My girl still sounds groovy, just listen to her purrs..." He said.

" The car sounds normal to me, Papa." She said.

" You don't know her like I do, little one." He said with a smile. " Oh how I miss driving my baby down the highways, the wind blowing through my hair. A beautiful woman by my side, those were the days..."

Papa Nihil went onto tell Phil and his youngest child that the sounds of his old car brought back many fond memories from his prime, but when he mentioned about the times he got lucky on the backseat of his car caused Albany to cringe. Her nose scrunched up while her gaze wandered over to Phil, he rolled his eyes at her before he looked out of the window. She was mortified, she was hoping that the Clergy had scrubbed the inside of the car clean before they used it. Taking a deep breath Albany curled her hands around the steering wheel, but her Father's voice soon caught her attention.

" Did you check your side view mirrors?" He asked.

" Yes, Papa." She replied.

" How about the rear view mirror?" He asked.

" That too, Papa." She replied.

" Now release the clutch and ease your foot down on the gas peddle..." He said.

" I know, Papa!" She said with a sigh. " I've got this, I know what I'm doing. Please be quiet, I'm trying to concentrate!"

" And how do you know, little one?" He asked before his hands motioned towards her. " This is your first driving lesson. It's all new for you, I'm just trying to advice you..."