A Change Of Scene

Chapter Eleven!

A Change Of Scene

February 2003 - The Italian Ministry 

The months had passed by quickly at the Italian Ministry, the relocation to California was now in motion. The Clergy had been busy making preparations for Papa Nihil's arrival at the Los Angeles Ministry. The ghouls had been helping their Papa to pack and move his office contents into storage boxes, it would be transported in a few days time.

The Italian Ministry was silent, but a warming glow entered the hallway from the lounge's open doorway. The fireplace was burning bright, there was lit candles on the mantelpiece. The scent of burning firewood lingered in the air, the room was cosy and warm. Albany was sitting in the lounge, her gaze remained on the fireplace. It was her final night at the holy church, she was going to miss her childhood home. She had already packed her belongings, they were being transported to Los Angeles in the morning. Their airline tickets had been booked, they were leaving the Ministry before 7am. Her thoughts were disturbed by footsteps entering the lounge, she soon felt the seat beside her move. Her gaze was met by her familiar face, it was Papa Nihil.

Nihil wasn't dressed in his papal robe, his attire was causal. He had been working hard today, he had been supervising his ghouls and organising his office files, he had been checking everything twice in case they had forgotten anything important. His ghouls has already been summoned away from the Ministry, they were making their own way to Los Angeles. Albany eyed her Father up curiously when he hiccupped, the scent of alcohol drifted in her direction. He had been drinking, she could smell it on him. Their gaze soon met, her Father's voice broke the silence between them. 

" Can I help you?" He asked.

" Have you been drinking?" She asked.

" I may have had one or two, it was goodbye drinks with my colleagues." He replied while he pinched the bridge of his nose. " We were drinking to my good health and future in Los Angeles, it was just a little friendly drink."

" A little friendly drink indeed..." She said.

" Have you packed your suitcase?" He asked.

" Yes, Papa." She replied. " Have you packed your suitcase yet?"

" No, the ghouls have packed my belongings." He replied.

" The poor ghouls, I don't envy them." She said.

" Watch your cheek, little one." He smiled before his gaze met with her own. " Would you like one last walk around the Ministry? This will be our last chance to say our goodbyes, we will be leaving early in the morning."

" No, it's okay Papa." She said with a slight shake of her head. " I have said my goodbyes more than once this week, but would you like to join me for a coffee? I was going to make some decaffeinated coffee before I retired for the night, it's getting late."

" Come on, little one!" He said before he got to his feet. " Let's take one last walk around the Ministry together, I would very much like to stretch my legs. Then we can have some of this decaffeinated coffee, it can be our goodbye toast."

" But it's cold in the hallways..." She said.

" Nonsense, get moving!" He said.

" Okay, okay!" She sighed.

Albany got to her feet and wrapped her blanket tightly around herself before she followed her Father out of the cosy lounge, they then walked together down the hallway. They took the elevator to the fourth floor, her Father wanted to start from the very top floor and work their way down to the ground floor. They wandered down the hallways and visited the different Clergy departments, they spoke about different memories they had gained around the unholy church throughout the decades.