Cramped Champions

We were sitting on the Great Lawn on yoga mats. Noah was teaching a class. All of Weasel, Grizzly, and Woodchuck were there. I was letting myself destress, and it was amazing.

"Let us all breathe in," we took a deep breath in, "and now breathe out." We exhaled.

Lou and Ava walked out of the Mess Hall. "Ava? Do you hear that?"

"Glorious, isn't it?" I asked.

"No yelling, no complaining. You can't even hear gas escaping Finn," Lou said, grinning.

"Doesn't mean it's not happening," Finn commented.

"I can confirm," Matteo said, his face scrunching up.

"I don't trust the quiet. It feels like the calm before a storm," Ava said.

Lou shushed her. "Listen! I think I can hear the birds singing..."

A whistle blew in the distance. We covered our ears from the high-pitched noise.

"What kind of bird is that?" Gwen questioned.

"Lou!"

"Oh. It's a dodo," Lou said grimly.

"Emergency! Emergency! Camp Champion is flooded! I repeat, Camp Champion is flooded," Barb said, speed-walking around us.

"We got it, Barb. You can stop speed-walking," I snapped.

"I'm trying to air dry," Barb retorted. She finally stopped pacing and faced Lou. "Hey there, neighbor. Got any spare beds for me and my... entire camp?"

~~~

"Greetings, campers! I'm sure you all remember Barb Barca, the director of Camp Champion, gold medal-winning speed walker, and repeater of information that makes her look good," Lou introduced.

"I'm also a gold medal-winning speed walker," Barb added.

"Y'all are probably wondering why our biggest rivals are here in the Mess Hall, wrapped in very expensive towels. I know I am," Lou said.

"The answer is, I was trying to give my campers a little fun," Barb admitted. "And sometimes 'a little fun' means cranking your camp's wave pool up to tsunami."

"Seems a little irresponsible-"

"Okay," I cut in, getting up from my seat. "Camp Champion will be staying with us for the rest of the week while their camp is getting fixed. There's a list of kids on the pole over there, each assigned to a cabin. Camp Champion, I will not say this twice. You're assigned, you stay until your lovely camp director gives you the all clear. Go."

~~~

Griff and I were cuddling in my cabin. I turned over to face him. I opened my eyes, kissing him softly before trying to fall asleep. Knowing that I was assigned a camper, we were going to need a lot of sleep. Lou smudged the pen too, so I don't know what her name is.

I drifted off to sleep again, this time not as deep.

I remember feeling scared. Terrified, even. She was chasing me. Hunting me. She was going to kill me. I was hiding. My heart was pounding in my ears. She was insane.

I was tied. I was itchy. She had this insane grin. Insane laugh. I knew she was creepy from when I met her. He knew it, too. And we were all in trouble now, too deep into the hole I dug.

"You're too young for him, (Y/n). It's just wittle cwush, and he'll be over you soon."

"He was never into me to begin with!"