Let's Bounce!

It wasn't as hot as I expected that morning. I was standing on a ladder twelve feet off the ground, goggles on to protect my eyes from splinters.

"Well, with all the campers pitching in, the Mess Hall, and our new cabins are almost ready!" Emma smiled.

"Yeah! I wasn't happy that Finn managed to run the bus into Weasel Cabin too, but hey, we're building our cabins without help," I said, showing the drill I was using.

"Telling them it was an 'arts and crafts project' was a great way of skirting child labor laws. I've never been more proud of you," Zuri added.

"Zuri, the purpose of this was to build unity, and give the kids a sense of ownership over the new Camp Kikiwaka," Emma explained.

"And it's also a fun way to spend time together," I agreed.

"Make sure to say it just like that when the cops come knocking," Zuri remarked.

"Having fun up there?" Rachel called.

"It would be a lot more if you got up here and helped me," I replied.

"Coming right up," Rachel sighed, setting up a ladder and climbing up.

I climbed down the ladder carefully, taking off my gloves to let the slightly cool air in. Griff walked up to my side, kissing my cheek with a smile.

"How's it going?" Griff asked.

"It's better than making license plates." I shrugged.

~~~

Meetings were not usually this civil. In school, the student council would always end with someone getting a black eye. But with the Rosses, everyone had their hands folded and ready to listen and be humble.

Lou banged a large mallet on the table, making me jump back. "All righty, who's ready to get this first meeting under the new owners started?"

"Me!" the three Rosses said in unison.

"I don't understand why I'm here," I said.

"Even though you're not a Ross, you're still a part of the family," Emma said.

I smiled. "Thanks, you guys."

"First order of business, for legal reasons, I need to put one of you down as the person in charge of the camp. Who wants it?" Lou started.

"Me!" the Rosses repeated.

"I think we all saw that coming." I smiled at Lou.

"I should be in charge, obvi. I am the smartest, hardest working, and least likely to embezzle camp funds. Cough, Zuri, cough," Ravi argued.

"Well, it shouldn't be Ravi. The last thing he ran was the lizard club, and even the lizards quit that," Zuri said sassily.

"Guys, I think I should be in charge. I'm eighteen, I love the camp, plus I'm the only one tall enough to change the lightbulbs in the office without a stepstool," Emma reasoned.

"Great, so it is a three-way tie. How should we decide?" Ravi asked.

"Well, in my family, we'd always play 'Rock, Rock, Rock'," Lou pointed out.

"You mean, 'Rock, Paper, Scissors'?" Ravi questioned.

"No. We'd just throw rocks at each other and the last one standing won," Lou explained.

"Good thing you didn't play, 'Scissors, Scissors, Scissors'," Zuri commented.

"Well, we did, until the incident. But, Mee-Maw is living proof you don't need thumbs to lead a full life," Lou explained.