Toilets and Tiaras

"Check," Matteo said. "You'd really thought you'd outsmart me?"

"Yes, because now, I can do this," I said, moving my piece to trap him.

A book was suddenly thrown at the game, making me jump back. I looked up at the bunks to see Finn looking down at us.

"Finn!" Matteo scolded.

"I was about to win!" I protested.

"You're playing chess and playing with a thirteen-year-old. None of that says winner," Finn laughed.

Ravi walked into the cabin as I got up, picking up the mess Finn made. I set the pieces back up, sighing at the new board. Matteo was teaching me, and I was about to show him I had learned something.

"Ravi, would you please tell Finn to clean up his stuff?" Matteo asked.

"Ravi, would you please tell Matteo to stop telling me what to do?" Finn countered.

"It sounds like we could use a Grizzly Council Circle to communicate respectfully and reset our inter-connectedness. I will grab the talking stick from my shaman box," Ravi explained, running off excitedly.

"Please, no. Anything but another Grizzly Council Circle," Matteo begged.

"Yeah, my hair still smells like sage from his last oral cleansing," Finn agreed.

"That's what it was? I thought Griff just tried out new cologne," I realized.

Ravi walked out of the bathroom, his hair covered in a towel. He banged a stick against a metal pot.

"This will be a formal council circle. But, we'll have to do without the tea tree essence, as my essential oil diffuser is on the fritz," Ravi explained.

"Oh, darn," Finn said sarcastically.

"Do I really have to be here?" I pouted. "And you're doing this with one less Grizzly?"

"(Y/n), it is my job to keep this cabin in order. We do not fix the factors that improve the cabin," Ravi explained. "And yes, go. You don't need to be here. Unless you want me to cleanse you with lavender."

"I'm good," I said before getting up and walking away.

~~~

"You wanna be in a pageant?" I questioned Rachel as we sat in our cabin. "I never took you as a pageant girl."

"Destiny asked me to do it. She wanted some type of competition and I was happy to offer. Even though I will definitely lose," Rachel explained. "And I want your help."

"With what, exactly?" I asked.

"Makeup, looks, hair, walking," Rachel listed.

"Well, the walk is basically your diva walk you do during shows. And the rest, I'm sure we can figure out," I reasoned.

"Great! So, you're in?" Rachel asked excitedly.

"I'm in," I said, smiling at my best friend's eagerness.

~~~

"It's not frumpy, don't worry," I assured her, ziping up the last of her back.

"Why don't you wear the dress that you wore to the dance?" Rachel suggested.

"I'm not competing," I said, confused.

"Still. It would great on TV, considering your supervising," Rachel reasoned.

"I'm not sure it still fits," I mumbled as I walked into my closet.