The Tri-School Series

Every three years, Waldon Academy holds a contest between three schools. A school from Maine, our school, and a school from Pennsylvania. We compete in a few different categories. Art, sports, music, and academics. And the Muses were included in all of them.

Music, obviously, was all five of us. During the contest, each school had to present a band. Whoever played the best would win the round.

Academics. Chemistry, home ec, and a couple of math problems a group of four has to solve together. I'm great with chemistry and math, Rachel's amazing at home ec and chemistry, Alex was great with all three, and so was Kristen. But, our team was me and Kristen, and another boy and girl from our school.

Sports. Sports were Alex's and my thing. We were unstoppable as a team. The competitive juvenile, and the boy who had mastered almost every sport.

Art was up to Kristen and Sammy. They were both very creative. Sammy could come up with a new design or piece in seconds, and Kristen could turn it into reality. That's how most of our songs or arrangements or covers were.

In total, there were twelve children representing the schools, all from different grades.

Dingman-Delaware Middle School competed against us from Pennsylvania. The warriors were dressed in black and white, but in their own style. There are four from each grade, sixth, seventh, and eighth.

The Muses and another guy from my English class were supposed to show around the Maine school. Freeport Middle School. They were all dressed in their own unique styles.

Waldon Middle School student representatives were wearing blazers and black pants, with shoes of their own choice. I wore my combat boots. I was short, so I was near the front.

"Freeport, welcome to Waldon!" Kristen greeted everyone. "We're so happy to have you here. This is Samantha, Alex, (Y/n), Rachel, Averi, and I'm Kristen. We'll be showing you around the school."

"Follow us," I said, waving my hand toward the school.

Friendly competition doesn't sit well with people who sat on a bus for hours. Sharp glares were given to us every time I looked around. I frowned, pulling my hair out of my ponytail. My hair had (f/c) tips, with the rest of my hair natural. People didn't seem to notice until I pulled my hair out of the band.

I sighed, pushing open the gym doors. I watched as Luke blew his whistle, signaling for the track runners to start. Luke pushed them to run a mile every day.

"Luke," I called. "Luke!" I yelled.

Luke looked over at me and smiled. "Hey, sis!"

"Freeport, that's Luke Ross. He's a senior in high school, and works as the track coach here at Waldon," I explained.

Some girls giggled, and I rolled my eyes. Of course, he had admirers.

I led them outside, revealing the pool and the soccer field a distance away. "Outside athletic area. We only go inside for soccer when there's lightning," I joked, making the group react.

"Okay, music time," Rachel said, grabbing my hand and pulling me with her as she walked.

We led everyone to the music room. I shook my head with a smile when I saw Samantha banging on the drums loudly. The Muses all knew how to play the drums, but Sammy was the most passionate.

"Sam," I said. "Sam!"

She paused, looking up at me. She pulled down the headphones she was wearing. "Yeah? Oh, hi everyone!"

"Samantha, our soprano for The Muses," I introduced her.

"Where's Kevin?" a kid asked.

"He kicked off after harassment toward fans," I explained, turning quickly back toward Samantha. "You're supposed to be helping us."