Tidal Wave

"Thanks for helping with mail call, Ravi. Try not to mess it up," Lou said.

"Please, I think I can handle reading names," Ravi scoffed. "Nqobizitha Madhanhanga."

"Mike Allen," Lou said with a smile.

"Fa'atoina Autagavaia hyphen-"

A girl got up, cutting Ravi off. "Thank you."

"Sue Smith." Lou smiled.

"Lou sorted through the mail already," I said quietly to Griff.

"Definitely." Griff nodded, smiling.

"Oh, come on!" Ravi whined. "Is anyone familiar with the Korean alphabet?"

"Hey, since we never get any letters, can we go do anything else?" Griff asked.

"Actually, there's a couple here for you, (Y/n)," Lou said, reaching into the bag and grabbing three letters.

My eyes widened, and I beamed when I saw a letter from Jessie and one from Rachel. I eagerly opened the one from Rachel, not even glancing at the third one.

Hey (Y/n),

I'm glad you want to join. You're a great fit for the group. Plus, one of our (v/r)s just quit because of Kevin. He was being a little inappropriate, so we cut him out of the group, too.

Anyway, if you want to join, you have to go to the auditorium early on the first day of school. We have a show at the end of the year, like always, but the place and date are still being determined.

See you soon!

Love,

Rachel L.

I opened the next one from Jessie.

Hey sis,

Just saying hi. Having a great summer? I'll see you when you get back to New York. I'm dropping in to say hi to everyone. I wish I could've seen Luke! I'm glad you're having fun and I love you so much.

Jessie

I looked at the third letter and my eyes turned fearful. It was from Dad. I opened it with shaky hands as Griff rested his head in his arms on the table.

(Y/n),

Captain started another session of school. I'm coming to pick you up so you can go. Camp Kikiwaka doesn't have any of the qualities that military school does. Pack your bags. I'll be there on Friday.

Dad.

I put on a fake smile, trying not to cry as I got up and hugged Griff. He smiled, hugging me back.

"What's that for?" he asked.

"I'll... see you later, okay?" I said.

"Okay." Griff nodded.

I left the Mess Hall, wiping tears away from my eyes. I closed the door to our cabin and sobbed. I took my suitcase from the closet and took out my military uniform, changing into it. I left my jacket on my bed as I packed, letting my tears fall on my clothes and books.

I tied my hair up in a ponytail and put up my hair, hiding my hair. I took off my bracelet, hiding it in the front pouch. No jewelry, no showing your hair.

"(Y/n), are you- Woah, (Y/n), what's going on? Why are you crying?" Hazel stopped, walking over to me.

"I'm leaving camp," I said simply, wiping my tears away.

"Says who?" Hazel crossed her arms.

"My Dad. There's another school session he wants me to go to," I explained.

"Let me try to convince him, please," Hazel begged.

"You can try, but he's very stubborn," I said, closing my suitcase.

I placed my suitcase on the front porch and looked at the camp, breathing in the smell of the toxic lake water. I wiped away my tears, feeling calm once more.

"Back straight, soldier."

I turned toward him nervously, saluting him. He saluted me back, and we dropped our arms. He hugged me slowly, noticing my tears. "This is going to be good for you, (Y/n). We can finally punch the juvie attitude out of ya." He grinned. "Come on, let's go home."

"Mr. Prescott, is it?" Hazel said, walking out of the cabin.

He nodded. "Please, let (Y/n) stay. She's done so much for the camp."

"Summer school is good for her. She's still got a bit of an attitude, but so enough she'll come to her senses and join the military," Dad explained.

"But that's the thing. She's happy here. She helps our cook so that the food doesn't taste horrible, she's great with kids, and she helps me control the goths that we call our bunkmates," Hazel listed.

"Is this true, Prescott?" Dad questioned, turning to me.

"Yes, sir," I said confidently.

He looked between me and Hazel for a moment. "I still think she should come with me."

"Please, sir, she has great friends here. She's a great leader, and she's very courageous. She won't take no for an answer."

"Dad, I told you, I'm not interested in the military. I want to be a criminalist. I want to help people. Please, don't make me do this," I begged.

"(Y/n)?"

I turned sharply and saw the Ross kids standing behind me. I waved my hand over my throat, telling them not to intervene.

"Dad, when are we leaving? I want to go back so I can check on Caleb." Darla walked up to us, whining and complaining.

"Why'd you bring her here?" I hissed.

"She's your step-sister. I don't care how much of a feud you have with her, she's still family," Dad said.

"She pushed my sister and I down a well, Dad. How am I supposed to get along with someone who broke my arm?" I questioned.

Dad stayed silent. "We're going."

"Please don't!" Emma pleaded.

Dad turned to them abruptly, frowning. He remembered them from the wedding. He looked at me, and then at Hazel.

"You want to be a criminalist?" Dad asked quietly.

"Yes. I'm very interested in forensic science, believe it or not. I want to help solve cases," I explained, smiling slightly. "I may not have the best record, but I want to at least try."

He nodded, hugging me. He looked at me for a moment before letting go. He stared into my eyes. "You still look so much like your mother."

"Thanks, Dad." I smiled.

"Darla, let's go," Dad said after a moment.

"Not fair. We came all the way here just to see my sister stay? No way. She's coming with us," Darla insisted.

"Darla. I am very happy here. Thank you very much. I like it here. I enjoy being with my friends," I spat. "Goodbye."

Darla stomped her foot and walked away with Dad, probably to his rental car outside of camp. I heard her shrill protesting in the distance.

The first thing I did was hug Griff. He saw everything. I teared up, letting a happy tear fall down on his shirt. I pulled away, looking at everyone.

"Thanks," I said simply.

"Why didn't you tell us? We could've stopped him sooner," Ravi said.

"I got the letter this morning," I explained, taking off my hat and letting my hair out of my ponytail. "Now. I think we need to celebrate."