31

Sap stood facing the wall, waiting for the quiet rustling to cease. A large smile refused to move from his face, no matter how hard he tried to stop smiling he couldn't, not that he wanted to anyway.

"Okay, you can look." A shy voice said, tapping him gently on the shoulder. Turning quickly, he laid eyes on his boyfriend, looking him up and down with a grin so happy he felt as if his face would fall off, cold water pricked at the corners of his eyes and he took Karl's small hands.

"Karl," he chocked, excited tears slipping down his rosy cheeks and he flung his arms around the fluffy-haired boy, feeling his short arms wrap around him and pull him closer, "You look so good." he whispered as salty water fell into his mouth.

"It's tight" Karl laughed, suppressing his own warm tears. Pulling back, he wiped Sap's eyes with his sleeve and smiled up at him, "thank you."

"Karl stop saying that." Drying his eyes again, Sap let go of one of Karl's hands and led him over to his wardrobe, picking out his muffin hoodie and turning back, slipping it easily over Karl's head and ruffling his hair. Sap was of course wearing Karl's colourful hoodie, I mean, when does he not? It was insanely common for them to wear each other's hoodies, in fact that probably happened everyday.

Karl closed the wardrobe door, standing in front of the mirror that was glued to it. He stood sideways and pressed down on his lower ribs, a smile creeping to his face as he studied himself. No more unnecessary lumps hanging of his torso. It was perfect. Well, as perfect as it could get with a second hand binder. "They're gone!" He shouted, jumping ecstatically into Sap's arms and burying his face into his bright blue shoulder.

--

Karl and Sapnap were sat on their bed, Sap's phone at their feet and an episode of Adventure Time playing on the small screen. Karl's head rested on Sap's shoulder and he held the hand Sap had laid behind him. He smiled as Finn screamed and ran, it was a high pitched scream which had led Karl to speculate he was also trans, maybe it was just him being young and having a naturally high voice, but believing one of his favorite characters was so much like him brought some kind of dumb motivation and plus, it was a cool theory.

Just as the Ice King was about to hurl his snowy, lightning sparks, there was a knock at the door and they had to pause the show. To Karl's dismay and despite an effortless protest, Sap stood up to answer, revealing his mother who looked past his shoulder to Karl.

"Karl," She spoke, gently pushing Sap to the side to engage in a proper conversation, "do you think you could come down a moment?" She wore a sweet, encouraging smile, however her sympathetic, condoling eyes told the boys something was up. They looked between each other, confused.

Slowly, Karl stood, nodding his head sheepishly and grabbing Sap's phone in the process. The anxious silence didn't calm anyone's nerves, Sap felt Karl's shaking hand slip into his own as he was handed his phone and led out of his room. Seconds felt like hours and every step was tenser and tenser. His socks scratched against the carpet, picking up friction and dust. Karl still couldn't walk all that well so the time ticked by slower, their short journey down the stairs dragging on endlessly. Cold sweat built up between their clammy hands but they simply held them tighter the closer they got to the ground floor.

Skeppy gave them a heartening smile, gesturing for them to go into the living room. Sap looked back at her as they stepped in, just to see her smile fading and a small frown in it's place. Looking to Karl first, he observed his nervous expression and scared, grey eyes, his grip on Sap's hand was even tighter and he held in a small breath.

"Edith! Good to see you!" A cheery, deep voice rattled through the room. Sap's head snapped to  it's owner; a tall, half bald old man with round glasses and a shakily shaved beard sat with one leg over the other and a brown clipboard in hand, smiling warmly. There was dead silence between the three.