Act 6: Part 5

One evening, before the sun was set to disappear beneath the clouds, two girls were throwing punches at each other. The older one obviously had the upper hand even though she held back against the younger. 

"Alright, that's enough." Thirteen-year-old Mina stated when she noticed her younger sister's movements slowing down.

"But, I can continue, Nee-chan. Please!" Sarada exclaimed in between her heaving breaths. The older girl rolled her eyes, though a small, affectionate smile contradicted the action. She sat down beside the nine-year-old on the grass with her arms resting on her knees.

"I'm sure you can, but being a shinobi also means knowing when too much training is too much training." she hid a chuckle behind her hand when Sarada pouted cutely.

"But you're never home anymore, so I rarely get to train with you and of course, mama is always working at the hospital, so I can't ask her. I feel like I can't even call myself an Uchiha." Mina tilted her head in concern.

"Why's that?"

"Because you're so cool and the villagers call you a prodigy. You even have those red eyes that come with our clan. I just feel so weak compared to you." The longer-haired girl brought her sister into a hug, humming as she buried her face into her shoulder in response. A few minutes passed before Mina replied in her usual calm, yet firm tone.

"Don't compare yourself to me, Sarada. You are an Uchiha and that's more than just skill, it's written in your lineage, something you can't change. You are very skilled for your age and for that, I'm proud of you. Just keep working hard and you'll get there too." she placed her index and middle finger against the younger girl's forehead, tilting her head with a smile. "And don't worry. We'll train again next time. Besides, don't you have the Kirigakure trip that you get to go on tomorrow? That's exciting!" Mina reassured. Sarada nodded her head and fixed her glasses with a light blush on her cheeks.

"Yes. I volunteered Boruto-baka to be the class representative for the trip. He was reluctant, especially when he was all tied up like that, but everyone else agreed with it! It was hilarious to see his face- Oi! Stop smirking like that, Nee-chan!" The younger girl scowled, much to the older's amusement.

"Sorry. Sorry." Mina apologised, waving her hands out in front of her in defeat. "Well, I quite enjoyed it when I got to go to Kiri, so I'm sure you will too. I even met someone who I became good friends with, maybe you'll see him too..." she trailed off when she noticed the confused expression Sarada held. 

"Sarada-chan! Mi-chan! Come inside for dinner!" The two heard their mother call out before the girls had a chance to talk more. The purple-eyed girl placed her hand on the younger's head and gently ruffled her hair.

"Don't worry too much about it and just go have fun tomorrow." Sarada smiled up at Mina with admiration shining in her onyx hues.

"Okay, I will. Thanks, Nee-chan."

*********

Mina-chan,

Sorry, this letter won't be very long. Lady Mei and Lord Mizukage are making me do lots of work to make up for some of the distasteful things I did. Anyway, I have something important to say: the annoying blonde boy from your village, Borax or something, smacked some sense into me as your words should've done years ago. I'm sorry I wasn't able to completely fight off my doubts and fears, but thank you for staying my friend despite living in different villages. Thank you for your kindness. You truly are a good person.

P.s. your sister is such a stickler for the rules. How annoying! ;)                    

Kagura

***********

Mina smiled to herself as she set the letter she received on her nightstand. She was glad her dear friend was feeling a lot better. When they would visit each other, she always felt that he was tense, maybe now, he can finally relax a bit. That would be good for him. 

Pulling herself from her thoughts, she took a look at the box in front of her crisscrossed legs. Her mother had given it to her to go through as it was stuff that belonged to her birth parents, something she was excited to do. She pulled out two hitai-ates, both displaying Konoha's symbolic leaf, but the symbol was crossed out on both of them. She stared at them with a somber expression for a few moments, before hugging them close to herself, and setting them aside. 

She then pulled out a photo of three children. She recognised two of the children as her parents at about six to ten years old, her father was holding a hitai-ate in his hands with a small smile. Her mother was holding up a small version of Mina's adoptive father with one arm, he was giving a bright grin, and was hugging her father's right arm with her other arm. The last child in the picture was someone she didn't know, it was a boy who looked a little older than her father with a large closed-eyed smile. Mina didn't know who he was but figured he was an Uchiha if his curly black hair had anything to do with it. She turned the photo over to see small and beautifully constructed kanji writing.

𝐼𝓉𝒶𝒸𝒽𝒾'𝓈 𝒜𝒸𝒶𝒹ℯ𝓂𝓎 𝒢𝓇𝒶𝒹𝓊𝒶𝓉𝒾ℴ𝓃 𝓅𝒽ℴ𝓉ℴ: 𝒻𝓇ℴ𝓂 𝓁ℯ𝒻𝓉 𝓉ℴ 𝓇𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉                                          𝒰. 𝒜𝓃ℯ𝓀ℴ (7),𝒰. 𝒮𝒶𝓈𝓊𝓀ℯ (3), 𝒰. 𝐼𝓉𝒶𝒸𝒽𝒾 (7), 𝒰. 𝒮𝒽𝒾𝓈𝓊𝒾 (9)

ℳ𝒶𝓀ℯ 𝓊𝓈 𝓅𝓇ℴ𝓊𝒹

𝒮𝒾𝓃𝒸ℯ𝓇ℯ𝓁𝓎, 𝒰. ℱ𝓊𝑔𝒶𝓀𝓊

Mina ran her fingers over her grandfather's fancy writing as she wondered about this Shisui boy. He seemed to be a close friend to her father and perhaps even her mother. She set the photo to the side, deciding to see one more item before retiring for the night. Her fingers daintily skimmed the items, stopping at a letter. When she pulled it out and read it, her blood ran cold and her body froze. Based on the date, it had been written thirteen years prior, when she was a month old, and was sent to the woman who had taken care of her for the first two months of her life...because the original owner couldn't receive the message. A tear fell from her left eye.

My dear friend, Aneko,

We won the war. Lots died and many were injured, but thinking of your letters gave me the confidence to fight hard and help command a division of the Shinobi Alliance. I finally found out who you were this whole time from your letter to Tsubaki-san and don't worry, I forgive you. I forgave you the moment you continued to keep in touch with me despite the danger it posed. Your daughter is safe as well and I'll continue to watch over her, so rest easy.

Thank you for lighting up my life in the times when I wanted to collapse.

Your friend,

Gaara

.

.

.

Author-chan's Fun Fact: Author-chan was working on writing a prequel for Mina's parents but decided to instead incorporate flashbacks and stuff like that instead.

A/N: 👀

Should I update my Oc book? I think I'ma do that... See y'all next week :)

Q: What kind of dojutsu (eye kekkei genkai) would you want to have? Be specific (ie: normal Sharingan versus Mangekyou Sharingan) (I swear if it doesn't stop autocorrecting to Sharing 😒)

A: I think it would be cool to have the Byakugan and I think the deactivated, light lavender-colored eyes are pretty!

Published: 06/13/2023

Word Count: 1,232