•chapter 26•

I look at the signs I pass, my arm still shaking on the steering wheel.
I pass a sign stating that I can get off at the next exit, I look through my mirror and hesitantly pull into the lane to my left.
My truck running out of fuel by the second.
I drive for another mile and turn onto a straight street with a gas station and a small restaurant, works for me.
I park the car at the gas station and I walk in to pay for the gas, looking around to make sure I don't recognize anyone.
Of course I am stared at suspiciously the whole time, the cashier finally comes to his senses and opens his god damn mouth.
The last thing I need right now.
"lookin for someone?" he lifts a brow as he questions me.
I shake my head and finish off my sentence with a quick "no sir," and I put out my hand for the change and walk out.
"be careful out there, it otta be dangerous."
I nod my head and smile as a sign of thanks and walk out to my car, turning on the engine as I zoom across the street to the restaurant called, "Gilbert's Bar and Grill."
I park the car, sighing to myself I walk out and head into the building letting the door slam behind my now shaking feet.
I walk in hesitantly, the door slamming behind me.
The place is filled with bikers, hookers, and just plan out suspicious human beings.
I take three gulps within almost every step I take, and I seat myself at a table in the back of the room. A lady walks up to me, her bellybutton clearly showing, her hair a dirty blonde flipped to one side. Her nails as long as her large nose, peering out to poke me at any moment.
"hello doll," she winks at me as she pulls out her notebook and pen. "What ya in for?" i stare at her, "hmm?" how does she know? How could she?! "what would you like to drink?" I breath out a large sigh and cover it up by saying, "sprite." She nods her head and basically sprints away from my table terrified.. or just clearly annoyed.
----------------------- ----- --------------------------
After finishing my meal, of just a burger with ketchup and mustard.. and my very soggy fries I pay my quick $11.00 and zoom out of the place.
I walk to my truck slowly, lifting up my hood and looking around myself as I hop in and lay back taking three strong and heavy deep breaths.
I tuck my key into the keyhole and pull out of the area looking around for anyone.
anyone.
I make it out of the subdivision.. or just strange area as I came to conclusion of, and head back onto the main road.
I lay my head back and watch as the sunset closes in on the day, and I head into A small town called Rosebury.
I pull into the nearest gas station and walk into the bathroom, getting myself plenty bags of chips for the rest of the way.
I pay as the cashier challenges me in a unofficial staring contest. Although he seems to lose when he looks away, I continue going on. Till my part in the win is official.
I snap out of it as I take my change and nod my head at the man as I walk out. I get to the car taking off my light grey jacket and putting my food to the side.
I finish putting everything into gear on my truck and I head out once again.
When I come to an alley I start paying attention for small forest like areas to spend most of the night.
I pull into the side of a hidden and dark road as I get out of the truck and sit on the ground finding myself two sticks, along with some fallen wood from a tree. I place stones around it and begin rubbing the two sticks together until it releases fire like flames.
I created myself a fire.
I grab my jacket as I use it as a pillow, and stare into the fire. My brain tangled in its own many knots. I sigh as i throw my now empty bag of chips in the fire watching it burn oh so carefully.
I look around myself and quickly put out the fire. I lay down on the ground for a moment and shut my eyes, sleep takes me to a whole other world.
---------------------- ------- -------------------------
I wake up the next day to a loud and painful nose.
a scream.
I dart up as if I'm an arrow and look around myself, " AaHhhhhhhhhhhh!!!" the voice booms.
I jump up and dart to my truck and purse my lips as I pull out of the area taking one last look and basically I jerk the gas and quickly drive away.
The rest of the day I spend driving and grabbing gas, fending off my few bananas and bags of chips, few water as well. I go through streets, highways, lanes, etc until I finally show up.
I am now in Washington D.C.
I, Bree, am in a place so dangerous all I can do is feel the goose bumps rise within me.
I am in the place where not only justice can be found, but where it will also be lost for me.
I am where my father is, and this will be the last time I will ever be free.