29.

I saw Brianna walking away from the casket and so I moved closer to Paige. So, that she could hear me. Somehow. She still looks so beautiful. So pure and delicate. I reach for her hand and hope that she would reach for mine. But she didn't.

I lean in to whisper in her ear, "I should have told you when I had the time but I didn't. And I'll always carry this guilt with me but, I want to say it now. I love you. And I have always did. In all the moments we spent together and even in the ones we didn't. I loved you while you were reading a book, or drinking your coffee or talking about a movie or your favorite snacks. I loved you when you loved yourself and even when you didn't. I loved you when you laughed or cried. And I'll love till the end. And I wish I would have told you. And I'll always be waiting for our special date. We deserved it."

I got up and my eyes were nothing but dry. My heart was nothing but heavy and I have never felt so incomplete in my life ever.

The next day Brianna came over to my house to give me the book that I gave to Paige. I asked her to come inside but she declined and I didn't insist. We both wanted some space. I opened it and saw that she had annotated it. I flipped some pages and saw a small note.

"This book blew my mind. Dropped my jaw on the floor. But it was so worth the ugly emotions. Maybe I do believe in love now. You convinced me. Good job Cal! I hope to see you soon at the bookstore. Goodbye for now. Also, want to know the secret to my ugly handwriting? I never went to a calligraphy class."

I laughed as the tears poured. She managed to make me laugh one last time. Goodbye for now, Paige.