14.

I was called downstairs for dinner after being in my room for more than an hour. And what pissed me off is that while mom was setting the table and doing some work in the kitchen, Cynthia took it as an opportunity to sit next to my father. And he doesn't even look a tat bit affected by that. Mom sat next to Cynthia and now she was literally in between them. Matt was the head of the table and I was sitting across him and Claire and Rupert were sitting across mom and Cynthia. At least someone looks like they have a nice relationship.

Everyone starts filling up their plates and I started to serve myself some chicken that suddenly Cynthia spoke up, "You're really hungry, huh."

She glanced at my plate with a disgusted look. I only have one piece of chicken on my plate. Seriously, what's her deal?

"No, but it seems like-"

"Eat your food, Paige." Why is he saving her? My father has really lost it. He really interrupted me just so I won't insult his sweet little fragile mistress.

I swear if I catch them having sex again in mom's room, I'll record it and post it online. And I will forward an extra copy of it to my grandmother. She had a lot to say about us that day.

Rupert breaks the silence by asking me, "So, Paige, do you know that I knew your dad in college?"

"No, I had no idea."

"Well, we lost touch after that but look here we are after all those years. I remember your parents being so in love and they got married so young. It's admirable to see the same amount of love in their eyes for each other." I try to keep in my sarcastic laugh. Like they clearly cannot see Cynthia sitting between them.

"Yeah, it really is. I see them everyday helping each other with little things, it's adorable. Dad always takes a day off from work when mom needs him and each weekend, he gifts her flowers or cooks breakfast for her. I really admire their relationship." The lies fall of my tongue like I have practiced for this every day of my life.

"That is so adorable." Claire said with a bright smile on her face.

"Yeah, it is. Most of the students from my school have divorced parents. Some separated due to unresolvable conflicts, some due to long distance or hectic schedule or even due to infidelity," I emphasised the word infidelity and gave a brief pause after that, "but my parents know how to work a relationship."

I see my parents as they do their very best to look calm and composed. Like this is all actually true and they are used to me talking about them like this. But only I know that they are dying inside.

"You have raised her really well, I must say." Matt said.

"Are you with Cynthia?" I ask. I know he is not.

He laughs loudly and so does others, "No kiddo. We are old friends. I am happily single. Trust me being single is amazing." At least someone has some sense over here.

I give him a small smile and continue eating my food as they all start their own conversation. I accidently drop my spoon and when I bend down to pick it up I regret it immediately.

Cynthia's foot is grazing my father's. I quickly sit up in my seat and burst out in a fit of cough. Mom quickly hands me my glass of water and I calm down after a minute. This is ridiculous. I look over at Cynthia and she has a look on her face that she isn't completely oblivious to my suspicion. I give her a discreet glare and go back to eating my food although now it tastes like poison. You know what screw being nice. I am going to do what I need to do.

"Hey, Cynthia. Are you married?" I ask right off the bat.

"Uh...no." She looks a little confused. Everyone is looking at me now.