Stressed

I knocked on the door to Ryders office no response. I giggled a little I know he's in there and I know he can tell it's me I hear a sigh from the other side of the door he has been working on pack work for the past five hours it's 10:00 pm and he hasn't eaten supper so I brought him some, "come in."

I finally hear his tired voice through the door I practically run over move some papers and set down the Mac N cheese I made for him. He was trying really hard not to smile.

He brought his hands up and rubbed his eyes, "Viv how old do you think I am is that Mac N cheese?"

I nodded at him

"Okay well it's going to have to wait I have a ton of paperwork some pack wants us to give them a part of the stream that we need to supply our pack with water by and—"

"I think it can wait for supper." I sit opposite him waiting intently for him to eat. Something about ensuring he eats gives me gratification. I just don't like that he is working so hard and not taking care of himself.

But he just picked up the sexiest pair of reading glasses and started reading again I tried to get his attention a couple times but he would just mumble something like one more paper or I'm going to let it cool.

I rolled my eyes at that it's going to be frozen again by the time he decides to take a bite so I stood up and stretched cracking my back not even getting a glance I scoffed a him. Ignoring me is not going to work.

I walked behind his chair and laid my arms over his shoulders I kissed his neck right where his marking spot would be that he told me about a couple days ago.

Then I started telling him I wanted a hug and I was tired and ready for bed, hoping to gain his attention and it worked I felt his pulse speed up and he had to stop writing for a few ticks before he gently brushed me off saying something about focusing.

I let myself sit on the floor I laid back and looked at the bottom of his chair running my finger over the warning label and the brand of the furniture company it came from.

Once I got bored of that I wrapped my arms and legs around one of his legs I could feel his warmth even through his pants I got in a comfortable position resting my head against his leg he didn't move geez whatever he is working on must really have him worried because he is never able to ignore me this way for so long.

I spoke, "Ryder can none of this wait till morning?" I yawned

He just grunted so I bit his leg, He jolted a little "Vivian I really need to focus on this it is important so either be patient or go to bed and I will join you later."

I didn't like how he was giving me demands but  in his defense I was acting like a child I laid my head against his knee and fell asleep clutching Ryder's leg.

.............

I felt like I was being nudged awake someone picked me up from under my arms and was carrying me I could tell it was Ryder he makes me feel so safe.

I was plopped down on a bed I squinted my eyes into the dim light I could tell it was really late. Ryder took his shirt off  not noticing I had woken up I closed my eyes before he could see he got into bed and helped us both under the covers and laid next to me.

I rolled over and grabbed onto his arm under the covers even in my groggy state he still felt tense almost as if he was expecting something bad. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close I could feel all of his muscles flexing I wish I could help him relax.

Still pretending to be asleep I moved my hand over to rest on his stomach.

I felt him relax just a little before he leaned down and kissed the top of my head, "I love you so much." I heard him rumble into my hair.

At first I was shocked but then a huge grin made its way onto my face and I fell asleep thinking about such a beautiful person like Ryder loving me.

The next day I woke up to an empty bed which always puts me in a foul mood I went down to the kitchen with a scowl, "Woah who pissed in your coffee." I heard Shawn say from the sink where he was washing his hands.

"I freaking hate when he gets up and leaves me in bed in the morning."

"Yeah I can understand Stacy is an early riser but I think I've worn her down over the years."

"Is Stacy your mate?" A weird look came over his face

"Yeah I forgot you two haven't met yet we'll have to set that up some time for that." He had a weird tone to his voice while saying that. I let it go Shawn walked over to refill his coffee cup.

"Hey Shawn can I ask you some stuff."

"Of course Luna."

"Why is Ryder so stressed he keeps staying up too late and not eating. All the typical things I do to ground him haven't really been working."

"This is a extremely hard time of year summer is the most common time of year for battle tons of rogues migrate up here for the warmer weather and it's just not good."

"Why what do rogues do?"

"They were wolves that got kicked out of their pack's rogues are usually wolves who have committed some of the most brutal violent crimes you can imagine."

"Do they actually try to come onto our pack land?"

  "Yes in fact four rogues made it thirty feet inside of the boarder last night Ryder was pretty amped up earlier he had to go on a run to cool down and now he is speaking with the head of boarder control now."

"Well can I go up and see him?"

"Yeah I think you should try to cool him down before he gets in a fight with the head of boarder control they are doing the best they can they are just overwhelmed with all the new rogues showing up."

I walked to Ryder's office before I even got to the door I could hear Ryder's angry voice the voice I've only ever heard like two times.

I glanced in the tiny crack beside the door there is a large man hunched over in his chair looking ashamed.

I pause and listen wondering if I should really go in "—one job, anyone could have been killed all of your pups could have died last night and then what would you have done?! Would you still tell me you were doing your best?!"

I pushed the heavy door open and he looked at me I walked over to him and rested my head on his chest, "Mistakes happen can we just relax no one got hurt."

I heard Ryder let out a deep breath before saying, "Brody you are dismissed just don't let it happen again." Brody got up faster than I ever thought possible and was out the door in seconds only shooting one thankful glance over his shoulder at me.

I leaned my head away from Ryder and looked up at his face. He had dark circles under both eyes and his eyes looked red and tired I brought my hands up and brushed my thumbs over his cheeks his stubble tickled my fingers.

"Why are you so tense? Everything is fine are you just tired? You should take a day to rest."

"I can't no matter how much I'd love to spend the day resting and being with you this whole month is just going to be a nightmare. I don't think I mentioned it to you but I have to fly out for a conference considering the rogue overload problem we are having."

I frowned at him he has earned a day of rest everyone needs a day to get away from everything and he has been working ten hour days for the past two weeks there is no way it's good for him, "Could Shawn go out to this conference and then just report back to you?"

"No I need to be there."

I held my hand up to the side of his face and he closed his eyes and leaned into it I could see the exhaustion in all his features.

"Could I help if you? Show me how I can help. We could get the work done twice as fast working together."

"This isn't paperwork you can really help with or understand. You are still learning about this world and you don't get the mentality of some of these wolves. You have been so supportive and that is just what I need right now this tough time will pass and everything will be fine. I just need you to remain calm and keep me sane " he chuckled then he rested his hand on top of mine on this face.

He leaned down and pecked me on the lips. I chewed the inside of my cheek and nodded accepting his answer.