Ice

My teeth started to chatter I held the jacket closer to my body.

I need to start running to get my body temp. up. I started running I looked all around but the adrenaline was making it hard to focus on any one thing.

I looked and saw guards posted on either side of me I started running up the hill only to see a huge frozen over lake.

Just great I can't go over that I looked to the sides sure enough the guards were still there I wondered why there were none in the middle, newsflash it's because they have a damn lake blocking the way.

Another gush of freezing cold air hit me making me want to run right back inside to the warm bed next to Ryder.

I reached a foot out and stomped as hard as I could the ice didn't crack at all this probably isn't safe but it looks pretty solid and I'm not going to play on it I just have to get across it.

I took a few steps out onto it with no trouble I basically just slid my feet across it instead of trying to walk like normal I was a good ten feet out from the shore when I heard a howl. I jumped a little and I felt a crack.

I prayed it wasn't the ice but I looked down to see a thin long crack right under my left foot I was kind of frozen. I just stood there hoping it didn't crack again.

After a few minutes I tried to slide my foot again and it cracked once more but worse I started to freak out my breathing accelerated then before I could fully freak out I heard the one thing that could actually calm me down Ryder's voice.

"Viv please come back the ice isn't safe I can't step on it or it will break. You can do it just come back to me." His Carmel eyes making me want to turn around and run back to him his expression was genuinely scared.

He looked like he wanted to come out on the ice but he knew it would break if he took a step he was having an internal battle.

I looked in front of me there is no way I could get that far it looked like a mile then I looked back and saw Ryder waiting for me with open arms begging me with his eyes to come back. I am never going to get another chance at escape, so whatever decision I make now I will have to live with forever.

I made my decision at the last second. I took a step back towards him but before I could make it to his warm arms I heard another crack under my feet.

I must have taken too long to decide because the next thing I know I'm falling the ice cold water hit me and shocked me so hard I couldn't move.

I sunk like a rock falling deeper and deeper into the water, my weak attempts at getting back to the surface not moving me an inch, all of my muscles were shocked and I felt like I couldn't move at all even though my life literally depended on it.

My lungs burned with every second I didn't breathe and my body was giving up from lack of oxygen. I was slipping my eyes were slowly closing I glanced at my hands floating in front of me.

I saw a black form jump in above me everything was fuzzy and my eyes were slowly closing against my will at first I thought I was imagining it and he was some kind of angel coming to take me, but then I saw his face.

It was Ryder he pressed his lips against mine and pushed my lips open he blew out just enough oxygen to expand my lungs.

Before grabbing me under my arms and forcing me to the surface my head tilted back and some water went up my nose.

When I broke the surface with a splash the cold wind hit me, and all I wanted to do was go limp but my body contorted and I bent over in Ryders arms to cough up a bunch of water. When I stopped my teeth were chattering so hard it hurt.

In a haze I looked up at Ryder right before my eyes completely shut.

......................

I felt a prick in my arm and then warmth. My teeth were chattering and I wasn't even sure I was awake but I knew I was cold.

I finally decided to open my eyes I saw three nurses cutting my freezing clothes off and sticking heart monitor patches all over my chest and abdomen they left my undergarments but I felt really exposed I was glad they were all girls they put a heater right next to me and the heat coming off of it just wasn't enough.

All I could feel was cold my whole body was shaking violently, and I was breathing heavily I reached up and felt an oxygen mask placed over my nose and mouth.

I lifted my arms up to look at them to see my skin was a grayish blue color, when a nurse pressed my arms back under the warming blanket.

She gave me a worried smile and pressed her warm hand to my forehead. I leaned into it and closed my eyes human touch felt so good.

After about five minutes my shaking hadn't stopped at all the heater was only helping minimally, I felt so tense my muscles hurt with the effort of trying to warm my body, and there was a light throb in my head.

The nurses were all talking frantically they took my temperature multiple times, they checked my heart beat and they took my blood pressure.

From the looks on their faces I wasn't doing any better.

The lady who looked like she was in charge ordered the other two out and then she went into the dark side of the room grabbing hold of somebody pulling them into the light when I saw it was Ryder something inside me got excited. I heard my heart monitor start beeping rapidly and my oxygen mask fogged up.

The nurse walked over and said, "I think you can do without this now sweetie if you want me to take it off." She said referring to my oxygen mask I nodded and she pulled it off I coughed a little bit readjusting to the air.

I searched my mind for the voice that has been telling me to stay away from Ryder since the second I saw him but couldn't find it the nurse said, "Alpha sir she needs you now."

"She looks so fragile I don't want to hurt her more."

"Alpha she needs to be warmed up the blankets aren't doing it for her."

The nurse walked back over and pulled the blankets down to reveal me damp grayish skin my teeth started chattering even more.

Ryder ran his hand threw his hair before quickly striding over to me, it looks like he changed. Not that I expected him to stay in his wet clothes but that was quick. How long was I knocked out for?

He is wearing a black T and a pair of sweats how the hell is he so... ok he just jumped into freezing cold water, swam down to save me, and pulled me out.

I'm not sure I even know who I'm up against here is he effing Superman I mean holy crap he looks like he just got out of a warm shower with his hair wet like that, and his golden skin.

He laid his huge hand on my stomach I sighed in relief my eyes rolled back in my head from my body finally relaxing onto the bed the doctor smiled before grabbing her clip board and leaving.

I watched as Ryder ever so gently climbed onto the bed with his huge form, maybe I do have stock holm syndrome but I decided I don't care.

I slowly reached my small arms up and wrapped them around his body pulling him flat to me he was so warm, hot even all of my skin that touched him seemed to come back to life, and his weight gave me reassurance that everything was ok with the world I felt him try to pull away and lift himself up a bit I just whimpered and said, "Please lay with me."

He let out a small chuckle, "Viv I'm not leaving I just don't want to squish you, you are like a third my weight."