Discovering the library

In early June, Donnie asked Splinter where he got the books on chemistry for his birthday.
"There is a library that is on the usual route I take after scavenging, and there is often times books thrown out," He said discractedly, staring at the TV, as he had been for the last three weeks.
"What is a library?" Donnie asked, Lily nodding along behind him.
"A library is a big building linned wall to wall with hundreds of books on everything you can think of, cooking, plants & animals, magic tricks, and others," Splinter responded, completely oblivious to the excitement Donnie and Lily were radiating.
"I have one more question Papá," Donnie said, sliding infront of the TV, "Can we-"
"I will not take you to library Red," Splinter said, shoving Donnie none too gently with his tail.
Lily and Donnie left the room in disappointment, Donnie rubbing the arm he landed on. Once they entered their bedroom, Leo started speaking.
"Wha'd pops say?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.
"Papá said we couldn't go," Donnie said, slightly mad about the shoving.
Lily chuckled at a slightly lower octave than normal before saying, "We're still going."
"But Papá said-"
"Dad said he wouldn't take us, but that doesn't mean we can't go at all, and I have a plan."
After an early dinner, the triplets said they were going to watch a movie in their room, and would go to sleep by themselves. Once they made sure they weren't being watched, they shut their curtain and set up pillows behind it, before booking it to the manhole cover. It took all three of them to move it off enough to get out, and they took great care in making sure they weren't spotted. Once they quietly set the manhole cover back, rain had started to fall from the sky. They checked both ways and ran across the street, wanting to move fast.
It took them a while to find the building, it was easy to see though, a big sign reading 'Central Park Library, Open from 6:00am to 7:00pm' was hard to miss. Their plan was to sneak in -wearing disguises to hide their turtle features- and wait till the place closed, that way they would have free range of the place without worrying about being seen.
Once they entered the building, they were hit with the scent of paper and coffee. There was an old and wrinkly lady at the front desk, and she wasn't very nice at all. When Donnie tried to look closer at the 'Adult nonfiction' she said, "Hey. Since it looks like you can't read, I'll spell it out for you, that is the adult section. You belong in the child's corner dingbat," and laughed at her own joke.
The triplets glared at her with as much hate as 4-year-olds could muster. They pretended to go to the child's corner, but ran to 'Young Adult' section as soon as they were out of her sight. Lily and Leo waited while Donnie picked out 7 books to read later. Lily found a few books as well, but nowhere near as many nor as thick as the ones Donnie choose.
Leo found some Jupiter Jim comics in the kid's corner, and the three of them sneakily climbed up onto one of the taller shelves to read. Donnie helped Lily and Leo with the words they couldn't understand while he read 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'.
At 6:30, "The library will be closing in 30 minutes, please put away any and all books that you will not be checking out." Rang out over the PA system.
"Half an hour before we can explore more freely guys," Lily whispered.
"But we gotta wait until the humans leave," Donnie whispered back, "Let's just keep reading."
They kept reading, ignoring the sleepiness that was making their eyes itch. They fought as hard as they could, but eventually, the exhaustion won out.
Since the triplets were fast asleep, they didn't notice that the library was changing. They were for in quite a shock when the woke up