Chapter 23

Harlow and Baz spent the rest of the day together, hiding out in her room. Nobody came to bother either of them, not even as they shirked their evening duties in the kitchen. Thank the Gods for that, as Harlow wasn't sure she could be around others in her emotional state. She couldn't control herself and was terrified she'd hurt someone else without meaning it.

Baz laid back on the bed, one arm propped behind his head and the other gently trailing circles along her thigh. "What's on your mind?" He asked.

Harlow thought about that for a moment. There was so much on her mind that it was nearly impossible to wade through to find one thing. "Kiran caught me leaving your room this morning. I think he's upset."

"Let him be upset. He will get over it."

"Did we do something wrong? Why would he be upset with me?" She asked, pressing the heels of her palms over top of her eyes.

Baz sat up, adjusting himself on the bed so he was facing Harlow. "Neither one of us did anything wrong. You are welcome to be with whoever you would like, he does not get to make that call."

She let out a groan, flopping her hands down into her lap. She moved her eyes up to meet Baz's, offering a small smile as she did so. "Then why do I feel so guilty?"

"Because you care about others, Harlow." He moved his hand off of her thigh to cradle her cheek in his palm.

Harlow smiled again as he leaned forward to plant a kiss against her lips. As they stuck together, Baz pulled the both of them down to lay flat on the bed. The pair stayed together in Harlow's bed for the rest of the night.

***

When morning broke across the horizon, Harlow lay staring at the ceiling. Baz was asleep next to her, and she couldn't help feeling a bit of jealousy as she wasn't able to get a moment of rest. After he had fallen asleep, she watched him for a while. How could a creature like him want to sleep with, let alone be around a monster like her?

Her emotions were all over the place as she watched the ceiling, jumping from fury to love to fear. She was surprised she hadn't lit the bed beneath them on fire. She laid in silence for a few moments before rising off the bed slowly so as to not disturb Baz. She reached her arms high over her head, stretching her body for the day.

Harlow slowly slipped out of her room, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light in the hall. Noticing no one else was around, she headed through the building towards the basement entrance. She had made it through to the sitting room when she ran into Kiran.

An instant pang of emotion Harlow couldn't quite place hit her stomach as she spotted him. It hit her deeply, making her feel uncomfortable as she walked towards him. Based on the way he'd been acting towards her, she decided to not engage. Instead, Harlow gave him a small smile and lowered her head as she kept walking.

"Stop." He spoke abruptly.

Harlow did as she was told, stopping in her tracks. She was still a few paces ahead of him, so they were face to face by the time she halted. "Yes?"

Kiran's fingers fidgeted at his sides as he looked her up and down. "I apologize for the way I acted and the way I spoke to you yesterday." He looked like a small child that had been caught sneaking cookies.

"Okay. Thank you." She spoke curtly, not really interested in continuing the conversation. She had too much to worry about to bother with Kiran having an issue.

"I'm under a lot of stress and it's hard for me. The whole kingdom is in an uproar over the King's disappearance. We need to be careful."

Before she could stop it, Harlow let out a scoff. "We're all under a lot of stress." She decided she was done with this and quickly walked away, not giving him a chance to respond.

She made her way back down into the basement, running her fingertips along the stone walls as she went. The scent of mildew and rot  hit her as she entered the room where King Hollis was held. She could see from behind that he was still strapped into the chair, but his head hung forwards. After watching for a moment and not noticing any movement, Harlow made her way into the room.

As her boots thunked on the floor, the King's head shot up. He locked eyes with her almost instantly as she strode in front of him. His eyes held nothing but fury as he took in who was in front of him. Harlow crossed her arms over her chest and waited.

"Of course. This is something I should have expected." He spoke, voice hoarse and raspy.
Harlow stayed silent, taking him in. His frame appeared smaller than before, likely from not eating as much as he was used to. His clothing was crumpled and torn in spots, and there was a nasty bruise along his right cheekbone. King Hollis had seen better days, but Harlow couldn't help but find some joy in seeing him like this.

"What is it that you want from me, Miss Adara?" He was trying to be intimidating, but his compromised position was really ruining that.

She let her arms fall to her sides as she took a step closer to Tioni. She crouched down to be at eye level with him, keeping her face schooled into neutrality. "I want my brother back." Harlow made sure that each word held significant weight as they tumbled from her lips.

"How about something possible?" He shot back.

She shook her head, allowing her curls to bounce against her cheeks. "Well, I suppose if you can't do that there is something else," She stood again, forcing the King to tilt his head upwards to look at her. "I think your heart in my hand would suffice."

He laughed then, sounding strained and throaty. "If you want it, take it. You've got me wrapped up in acidic chains so it's not like I can go anywhere." He moved as he spoke, the rattling of the chains bouncing off the walls.

"You're correct, Tioni. But that's too easy, I want you to be afraid. I want terror coursing through your veins as you realize you're out of time." She moved her lips close to his ear as she spoke, whispering the last few words.

King Hollis began to thrash in his chains as she spoke, hissing at her like a serpent. Before he could tire himself out, Harlow strode over to the side of the room and picked up the metal rod on the floor. The same one Ilyana had struck him with previously.

She slowly walked back over as Tioni thrashed in his seat, gently tapping it against her open palm. She held it tightly in her right hand as she stopped in front of him. Harlow took a deep breath, smiling at him as she raised it up and struck him. The sound of metal against bone rang out through the room as the rod connected with his skull. He was still, but his breathing confirmed he was still alive.

Like mother, like daughter.

• • •

Sorry for the late upload!! I've been so busy at work and have not had time!

I should have another chapter out by the end of the week for y'all!!

xoxo, Ari