Chapter 16

The room was thick with anticipation, all eyes flicking between Harlow and the Witch. Kiran fidgeted at her side, clearly wanting to step in but not knowing how to. The Witch raised her dark brows and tossed her hair back over her shoulder, eyeing Harlow carefully. It was almost as if the Witch's eyes were piercing daggers, digging layer by layer through her skin.

"Well? You've got nothing to say?" The Witch's arms were twitching like she was ready to pounce.

Swallowing a gulp of fear, Harlow took a small step forwards. "I don't know what exactly you'd want me to say. I can apologize but I know that wouldn't fix anything I've done." She tried to keep her voice strong and clear, but it wavered almost instantly.

The sound of her own heartbeat throbbed in her ears, and anger bubbled in her stomach. Though she was not sure whether she was mad at the situation or herself. There was literally nothing she could do to fix things, the past couldn't be altered. As bad as what she had done was, Harlow didn't really regret doing it, only regretting hurting others. She got her point across and put some fear into the King.

The room was uncomfortably quiet as the Witch rolled her eyes at Harlow's comment. "That's it? You killed without remorse and all you have to say is that?" An annoyed chuckle left her throat, and she narrowed her eyes.

"How many?" The question escaped before Harlow could stop it.

"How many what?"

"Dead. How many did I kill?" Her voice broke yet again, another wave of anger washing over her. Her palms pricked with heat from her fire, and she had to push down with all her strength to contain it.

Kiran shuffled uneasily at her side. He reached out a hand to gently touch Harlow's shoulder. "Don't do this." His voice was quiet, but cut through the silence like a sword.

She shot a dark look at Kiran before turning her gaze back towards the Witch. "Tell me." She tilted her chin up, trying to appear confident to hide her writhing interior.

The Witch took a couple steps forwards, coming eye to eye with Harlow. "Thirty two. You murdered thirty two Fae, and you don't have anything to say about it." Her words cut like a razor blade, ripping right into Harlow's core.

Harlow's lungs deflated and her face drained of blood. She figured it had maybe been a couple of Fae, but that many? She sucked in a sharp breath through her teeth and stumbled backwards a few steps, her back connecting with the wooden door. Legs giving out underneath her, she slowly slid down until she reached the ground. The number kept replaying in her head over and over, taking over every corner.

32...

32...

32...

32...

Her breathing came hard and fast, and the world around her began to darken at the edges. "I'm sorry. I am so sorry." She choked out between sobs, curling her arms around her knees.

Warm hands gripped onto her shoulders and gave her a shake. When no response came from Harlow, the hands gripped harder and shook again. She assumed it was Kiran trying to snap her out of it, to get her to stand and look under control. Cracking her eyelids open, Harlow peered at who was standing in front of her. She was met with deep brown eyes lined with something like concern. The Witch was the one shaking her, the one starting hard into her own eyes.

"Get up. You don't get to act like this." Her words were razor blades, clashing with the scent of vanilla and lavender wafting off of her. The Witch stood and took a step back, motioning with her hands for Harlow to rise.

Picking herself up off the floor, Harlow stood slowly. She inhaled a deep breath through her nose, trying to steady her nerves. In her stomach she could feel her fire rising and falling like waves, aroused by her emotions. Harlow slowly met each set of eyes in the room looking back at her before turning her attention back onto the Witch in front of her. The room had become deathly quiet again, everyone waiting for the other shoe to drop.