Chapter 20

Hot tears streamed down from Harlow's eyes as she argued with Ilyana. There was no way this was her mother, Harlow had no memory of this woman before barely a week ago. Her mother was a short, plump witch with wispy blonde hair. She didn't smile often and her temper was vicious. Ilyana knew too much for it to be only a coincidence, though.

Harlow felt a sting deep in her chest at every small detail her supposed mother told her about herself. Ilyana recited every point of Harlow's tenth birthday, the reason for every childhood scar, and the time Harlow came back from school squeezing a rabbit in her arms. Each memory stacked up into a precarious tower in Harlow's mind.

There's no way. But how could she know all of this?

"Why can't I remember you?" Harlow whispered, not sure she even wanted to be asking the question.

Ilyana leaned forward, reaching over to touch the back of Harlow's hand. "I changed your memories, Wildfire. I couldn't let you or Aeron go to Vrahan knowing who I was. The Coven was too scared."

"Scared of what?" Her interest was piqued with that statement.

"Of King Hollis. We wanted to keep as quiet as we could. At least until Aeron was killed." Her voice was laced with disappointment.

Harlow sat with that for a while, not knowing whether to be furious or relieved to have her mother. The roiling boil in her stomach made the decision for her.

"So you decided to remove yourself from your children's memories because you were scared?" She hissed, yanking her hand out from under Ilyana's.

The Witch looked like she had been slapped and Bea shifted uncomfortably in her chair. "I needed to protect the coven. To protect you two."

"And yet here we are, and Aeron is dead." The words hung idly in the air, dripping down between the three.

Ilyana pushed herself to her feet and stormed out of the room, but not before speaking one last time. "The King is being held in the basement when you are ready."

Bea sat in shock for a moment before moving to follow her mother. "I'm excited to have a sister." She whispered barely above a whisper before quickly walking away.

Harlow dropped her head into her palms and let out a groan. She wasn't sure why her tongue  always moved before her mind had a chance to think it through. That wasn't appropriate or fair to say, even if it was how she was feeling in the moment. A sigh slid past her lips and she squeezed her eyes shut.

She sat in silence for longer than she cared to admit before rising out of the chair that was swallowing her whole.

I can't be alone tonight. I need Kiran.

She wasn't sure if Kiran had returned when she rapped on the door of his room quietly. It was late and she didn't want to wake anyone up. After waiting in the dim hallway for a moment, Harlow raised her fist to knock again. Before her knuckles could connect a wooden door down the hallway creaked open and she spotted Baz poking his head out.

"Oh, sorry for waking you." She spoke quietly, suddenly feeling sheepish.

He stepped out further, the exposed deep skin of his bare chest glinting in the light. "Are you alright?" His voice felt genuine to Harlow as he spoke.

She found herself shaking her head before she even had a chance to think. Her now dry curls bounced lightly against her face. She stepped away from Kiran's door and towards Baz who now had exited his room completely. "Can I stay with you?" She asked, feeling her stomach churn.

Baz widened his dark eyes, running a hand up and through his hair. He looked either scared or shocked, which one was unclear to Harlow. "Oh, um, really?" He asked, cocking his head to the side.