Chapter 17

The next day was long and exhausting for Harlow. She completed task after task but refused to complain. It was time to make amends for the anguish she caused, not to be a brat. The sun was high in the sky as she cleaned the outside of their hideout, a bead of sweat dripping down in between her shoulder blades. She had been at it for over an hour now, but there wasn't much left to clean. Why Ilyana wanted the outside clean she wasn't really sure.

Kiran had been MIA most of the day, probably back at the castle trying to do damage control. She hadn't only escaped, there was yet another body in her wake. Even though she wasn't the one that killed him, and even though Malik was disgusting, she still felt the guilt in the back of her throat.

Her brush moved slower against the wooden building as hot tears slipped down her cheeks. Harlow fought back a choking sob as she continued working, the memories of death flicking through her mind. Fire licked up in the pit of her stomach at the surge of emotion, begging to be released. Harlow pushed it back down roughly, brushing at the wall harder.

By the time she was finished the sun was again low in the sky and Kiran had returned. They had exchanged pleasantries before he disappeared into the building. After cleaning up, Harlow made her way back inside the hideout, prepared to start her next task.

"Sit." Ilyana instructed her as soon as the door shut, her slender arm gesturing towards an open chair next to her.

Harlow sat slowly, taking in the smell of cooking meat around her. They must be having the deer she caught for dinner. Peering over, she noticed the Witch staring at Harlow, though her expression seemed softer than normal.

Ilyana gripped the arm of her chair, knuckles whitening. "We need your help tonight, Harlow." Ilyana began, speaking slowly.

"Sure, I'll go get the bow." Harlow was expecting to be sent out hunting again. She knew the deer wouldn't last long with a group as large as this one. 

A soft chuckle escaped Ilyana's lips and she shook her head. "No, Wildfire, we need you with us tonight."

A memory pinged in Harlow's mind at the name Wildfire. She couldn't quite place it, but remembered hearing that often as a child. She pushed the memory out of her mind before replying. "Okay, what is it?"

"You want King Hollis gone right?" Ilyana spoke as though she knew the answer already.

Harlow nodded slowly, confusion passing over her features.

"We do too. We have an opportunity, and we're going to take it. But we need your power."

***

A group of about ten of the resistance stood at the edge of the woods near the castle, each one quiet and low to the brush. Ilyana led the pack, with Harlow behind her. She didn't know the names of most of the others as they hadn't wanted to speak to her yet, but the large Fae male to her left was Baz. Another tiny Witch, Ilyana's daughter, brought up the rear, and Harlow could almost feel the power rolling off of her.

They were watching the guards patrol with Kiran patrolling along with them. He was the one to watch for, and when he was spotted the group was to make their way through the castle grounds into the servants quarters. Everyone was wound up and antsy, Baz shifted anxiously at Harlow's side. After a couple more long minutes, Harlow spotted Kiran walking around the edge of the perimeter. His gait was slow and steady, and his hand draped lazily on the hilt of his sword.

"Now!" Ilyana spoke in an aggressive whisper, and the group rushed across the open perimeter and around to the rear of the castle. Without speaking a word, Ilyana quickly opened the servants door and peered inside. Harlow had to respect Ilyana as a leader, it wasn't often that you saw one running with their team. Gods knew King Hollis would never fight with his troops.