Chapter 2

Harlow closed the heavy front door after stepping into her apartment, flipping the lock closed on instinct. She was always a stickler for making sure the doors and windows were locked as she had read one too many true crime stories to feel completely safe. In fact she was often on everyone she loved in her life about keeping safe. Pepper spray, a small knife, and a personal alarm lived in her bags constantly.

Harlow tossed her bag onto the bench by the door and walked further into the apartment. The place was spotless, as always, thanks to Amelia. She was always the tidy one and kept everything in order. Harlow had no idea how she would survive without her for four whole weeks.

The counters were spotless, floors so clean you could eat off of them. After nearly four years Harlow still didn't know where Amelia kept all of her stuff. There never seemed to be any clutter whatsoever. The only exception to this being Harlow's room itself. Harlow asked Amelia not to clean in there anymore, as after the first time she couldn't find any of her stuff for weeks.

"I'm home! I have news!" Harlow shouted, padding into the kitchen to set down her bagel and coffee. The kitchen smelled like lemon cleaning products and incense. Lavender, one of her favourites. After getting no response, Harlow cocked her head, listening closely to the strange muffled noises coming from Amelia's room.

Immediately her brain went into overdrive, thinking of all the worst case scenarios she could possibly imagine. Harlow slowly reached to pull a large chopping knife from the block beside her. Slower still, she moved towards Amelia's room, careful not to make much noise.

She pressed her ear against the door, the muffled noises growing louder. The girl had no idea what was happening and her heart hammered in her chest. Wrapping her free hand around the door handle, she gave one quick push and jumped through the door frame. Her knife was thrust out in front of her, eyes wildly darting around the room.

"Low what the fuck!" Amelia yelled, voice coming from the bed. Harlow wheeled towards the bed as Amelia yanked the covers up over her chest. She wasn't alone apparently. Her on and off again boyfriend, Damian, hovered half over top of her, half beside her. Harlow's eyes continued to dart around and she ended up getting a whole eyeful of man-ass

Well, now I've seen more of that creep than I ever wanted to.

Harlow threw her hand up over her eyes, lowering the knife in her other hand. "I'm sorry! I thought you were being murdered!" She got out in between giggles, backing up through the door. Once she was in the safety zone, she reached forwards and shut Amelia's bedroom door. Laughter exploded out of her, and Harlow heard an exasperated groan through the door.

Still giggling to herself, she put the knife back into the block and took a sip of her iced coffee. She unwrapped the bagel and took a bite, chewing slowly. It was not the first time one of the roommates had walked in on the other, and Harlow was sure that it wouldn't be the last.

Harlow gave the two lovebirds a few more minutes before shouting, "I met a boy!" She swore it was less than a minute later before Amelia was dressed and springing out of the room.

"A cute boy? How old? Who? Do I know him?" Her questions came rapid fire at Harlow as she crossed over into the kitchen. Amelia lifted herself up and sat her short frame on the edge of the counter, leaning towards Harlow.

Harlow smiled brightly, feeling a blush creep up into her cheeks again. "Very cute, not sure yet, his name is Kiran, and I don't think so." She answered back to her roommate, popping the last bite of bagel into her mouth.

"How'd you meet?" Amelia spat out, nearly as excited as Harlow.

At that moment Damian walked out of the room, his blonde hair mussed up and shirt wrinkled. "Hi, Harlow. See you later, Mel." He shot a dark look in Harlow's direction, clearly frustrated she broke up their 'secret' sex. He shoved on his shoes and stormed out the front door.

Harlow hopped over and locked it behind him before turning back to Amelia. "He was in my History of Art class, and I just ran into him after," She started, pushing back her mop of brown curls. "actually I physically ran into him in the courtyard."

Amelia's blonde, perfectly manicured eyebrows shot up and she slightly shook her head at Harlow. "Of course you did, Low. What have I told you about paying attention?" She teased, a smile playing on her lips.

The girl brushed her off with a wave of her hand and let out a burst of laughter. "So you and Damian again? What's this, part 29 now?" She asked, shooting a smirk in Amelia's direction before walking towards her room again. Plopping down on her roommates bed, Harlow looked around to see the room essentially empty. A couple of bags sat near the door along with a few massive boxes.

Amelia slowly padded into the room, her head tilted down towards the floor. "Listen, Low..." She started, a sheepish look passing over her face as she moved to meet Harlow's gaze.

A sharp pain stabbed into Harlow's chest and immediately tears began to well up in her eyes. "You've got to be fucking kidding me, Mel. Why didn't you say something?" She interrupted before Amelia could continue. Harlow should have known something was up when she didn't try to hide that Damian was over. Normally Amelia was much more discreet about their hookups.

Amelia tore her eyes away from Harlow, taking a deep breath in. "We reconnected recently, I never expected it but it just happened. We got to talking and decided that I should just move in with him and give our relationship a real go." Amelia spoke quietly, as if she were a little kid in trouble.

Harlow's heart felt like it was breaking. Her best friend was leaving, moving away from their little home they had made together. "I understand." That was all she could manage to squeak out before the hot tears started to fall down her cheeks.

Amelia sat down on the bed beside Harlow and wrapped her arm around her shoulders. "I'll still see you all the time, okay? And I've already put my share of rent for the next two months in your room." Amelia squeezed closer to Harlow and rested their heads against one another. "I love you, Harlow. I think it's just time for me." She whispered against her hair.

"Oh god. This means I have to find a new roommate." Harlow said, the both of them letting out a giggle at the thought. Harlow sniffed, lifting her hand to wipe tears off of her cheeks.

"God help whoever you pick." Amelia joked, squeezing her again. She sat back and smiled at Harlow, her eyes sad and sympathetic.

Harlow laughed again, shaking her head at Amelia. "I'm going to miss you, you asshole." She smiled back at the blonde firecracker before standing. "At least let me help you pack your car before you leave."

An hour later they had packed up Amelia's silver hatchback as much as possible and were hugging in the parking lot outside the building. This was absolutely not what Harlow was expecting to deal with today, but she knew in her heart that it wouldn't change anything between the two of them.

Harlow's curls stuck wildly to the sides of her sweaty face. She pulled back from the hug, brushing her hair back. "Make sure he's nice to you. You know you always have a place with me too okay? She said to Amelia, resting her hands on either side of her friend's shoulders.

"I know, Low. I will," She smiled. "you have to keep me updated about this guy over break too. I'll see you soon."

"I will, and I will be seeing you in the next couple days. There's no way I'm waiting until next semester to see you!" Harlow replied, pulling her hands away.

After some final goodbyes, Amelia got in her car and drove out of the parking lot. Harlow turned to head back inside after she couldn't see the silver car anymore, tears streaming down her face.

Harlow shut their apartment door behind her, locking it and leaning against it. Not our place anymore, just mine. That was going to take some time to get used to.

Her phone buzzed in my her pocket and she fished it out, figuring that it was Amelia forgetting something. Displayed on the screen was a text from an unknown number.

'Hey Harlow. Wondering when I can see you again?'

• • •

Hi again friends!! I hope y'all are having a good day! I celebrated my birthday yesterday and spent a lot of time talking about how excited I am to be writing again!!

I'm excited to hear the thoughts on this chapter. It'll set up a lot for the next couple :)