Chapter 3

After texting back and forth for a while, Kiran and Harlow decided to meet up when she was finished her last exam in a few days. He would text her on and off all day and actually could hold a conversation which couldn't be said for most guys at Harlow's university. Bowfield was such a boring city, and mostly everyone living in it reflected that.

They got to know each other a bit over a couple of days and Harlow found him really easy to talk to. She learned he was just taking open studies, and that was honestly a bit weird to her. Why was he taking a fourth year requirement class? Whatever, not really my business.

Harlow spent the next bit of her week studying and taking exams until all she had left was her last one in the late afternoon. Amelia called het up, asking if she wanted to go to the club that night to celebrate and Harlow happily agreed. It had been a while since she had been out and she didn't even have to worry about needing to do anything tomorrow.

After filling a couple hours with some last minute studying, Harlow felt prepared for her Mental Health and Addiction final. Flash cards had become her new best friend recently. She knew the material like the back of her hand, though it was always nice to know as much as possible. It was pretty standard for her to get decent grades; She thrived on the satisfaction of success. Harlow picked up her bag from where she threw it near the door the other day and headed out of the apartment.

On the walk towards campus her mind wandered towards finding a new roommate. It was going to be tough to find someone she could actually live with, she was picky as hell with people. Maybe she could put up a couple of flyers on campus. Sure, it would attract the crazies but maybe there would be a good one in the bunch.

Harlow's sneakers crunched in the fine layer of snow with every step she took heading up to the exam hall entrance. It was chilly out, the air beginning to sting her nose and cheeks. She always liked the cold though. As a little kid she would play outside in snow piles for hours and hours, not bothering to come inside until sundown. After that there was nothing better than a warm mug of hot chocolate to warm her up.

She threw down the hood of her sweater as she walked through the doors, letting the warm air envelop her exposed skin. The exam hall had a few people roaming around, most with a sense of nervousness about them. There were a few exams going on, so when she spotted students that she recognized from her class, Harlow headed towards them.

She leaned against the wall near the exam room where everyone had gathered. They chatted around her about the exam and life in general, and Harlow couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy. It seemed so pointless but she had always been left out of small talk and general conversations. Almost like she didn't exist to anyone unless they needed something from her. That was how it always went though, she had always been a bit of an outsider in her own life.

Suddenly, the professor opened the door to her left and students began filing into the room. Harlow pushed off the wall in a quick movement to make her way into the exam. There were thick booklets laid out on each individual desks and she heard a few classmates groan at the sight. Harlow walked up one of the aisles and found a seat to the right of the room. The girl pulled out a pencil from her bag and placed it next to her booklet.

Shit, this really is a dense exam. She chewed on the inside of my lip, anxious feelings gripping onto her chest and stomach. Her eyes glanced around the room as all the other students got settled into their seats and prepared their areas.

The professor wandered up and down the aisles for a bit before coming to a stop at the front of the room. He began to go over the rules of the exam, all pretty standard but necessary to know. After explaining, he glanced at his watch and instructed the room to pick up their pencils and begin. The sound of paper flipping over filled the room and they did just that.