Chapter 8

The streets were empty outside, devoid of life. Of course it was a late Monday evening, so most were inside with their families, but it was creepy nonetheless. The frigid air blew around freshly fallen snow, small drifts forming on the edges of the road. Up above, the moon shone brightly in the cloudless sky. It appeared larger than normal.

Harlow knew it was probably a bad idea to go on this walk with Kiran, but something in her knew she had to. They walked in silence for a while, making their way down the block and towards the nearby city park. Harlow hadn't so much as heard another person. If Kiran were about to murder her, there was no doubt he would end up getting away to it. In the park, Kiran led her to a bench and motioned for her to sit down, following afterwards.

The bench was cold and damp through her sweatpants. Peering around, Harlow noticed they were out of view of the street and nearby houses. Who in the world decided this was a good set up for a park? Sure, it was nice to have so many trees around, but incredibly unsafe. She had completely convinced herself that she would not make it out of this alive.

Harlow took in a deep breath, gripping her hands together tightly. She at least wanted to get some answers out of whatever the hell this was. "So, can you explain that list to me?" She spoke softly, keeping her eyes lowered to her lap.

Next to her, Kiran sighed, the creaking of the bench indicating that he shifted positions towards her. "It's not that easy, Harlow." He replied.

Whipping her head to face him, Harlow felt anger melt over her features. "What the hell do you mean 'it's not that easy', Kiran." She spat out his name as if it were venomous. The least he could do was explain before she became worm food. Or psycho stalker food.

He raised his eyebrows at her tone, his lips quirking up. "Always an attitude with you. I'm trying to say it would be easier if I showed you." Kiran leaned forwards, lifting a hand towards her.

Harlow pulled back instinctively. "Don't fucking touch me." She snapped out, fear pounding in her chest.

"Please. You'll understand, you'll know everything." He spoke softly, getting closer still. Kiran's hand hovered above her head, shaking slightly.

She stared up at his hand in pure terror. Her vision began to tunnel, heart screaming against her ribs. Every bone in Harlow's body was telling her to run, but some part deep inside her was telling her to stay. That little part was loud and pushing hard to reach her. A wicked battle was being waged inside of her, and she knew who the winner would be.

Harlow succumbed to the small, fiery part of herself and nodded once. She leaned her head forwards, towards the guy that held her life in his outstretched fingers. Her terror began to fade away, waves being pulled back out to sea. The feeling was replaced by something along the lines of acceptance, though she couldn't quite place it.

Slowly and gingerly, Kiran lowered his hand and rested it upon her forehead. He applied no pressure, just allowing his fingertips to touch. Taking a long breath in, he moved his other hand to touch her cheek in the same manner. "It's time to remember. You need to remember, Harlow Adara." He spoke quietly, though his voice was infused with purpose.

Harlow clenched her jaw, bracing herself for whatever he was about to do. Her eyes were closed as tightly as they could be. The pair sat there in silence for what felt like forever. Wind whipped around them, blowing icy snow particles onto Harlow's exposed face.

She eventually cracked an eye open, peering up at Kiran's face. His eyes were shut tightly as well, eyebrows screwed up in concentration. She watched him for a few moments, becoming more confused as the seconds ticked on. Suddenly her vision began to fade, pulsing in and out with the beat of her heart. It wasn't long before she couldn't see at all, her body going limp and slumping forward into Kiran.

Memories in the Moonlightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें