Chapter 13

The dingy mattress pad on the floor was even more uncomfortable than it looked. Harlow's hips and shoulders ached from being pressed into the stone floor, and she kept waking already agitated from her poor sleep. She had no idea how long she had been locked in her cell. The only way she could tell time was passing was from the meals she had delivered. It had been 4 so far, so Harlow figured it was about the same number of days.

Most of her time was spent trying to hatch an escape plan or talking to Amara. She had found out the young prisoner was only 11 years old, and was locked in here for a long time. Harlow tried to keep the conversations on lighter topics, but every time it would devolve into Amara sobbing. This made Harlow's blood boil. The child deserved to be with her family, not hidden away where no one could find her.

Harlow knew she deserved a punishment for what she had done, but it didn't make sense that she hadn't been called up yet. Most of the time when a Far did something wrong, they would be called before King Hollis and the Royal Guard to face trial. Of course the trials rarely ever went in the defendant's favour, but Harlow felt she at least deserved one. She knew that it wouldn't be pretty and that her actions were irreparable, she just wanted a chance to explain from her own perspective.

Really though, Harlow wanted to see the sunset one last time. She wanted to feel grass under her feet, and touch the leaves on the trees. She wanted a moment outside to mourn her brother properly, without chains and bars binding her to a cell. That was the only thing that truly mattered to her, and it would be her one request when she went to face the King.

Amara was talking constantly from the moment Harlow awoke. Mostly about things that made no sense at all, but still, Harlow listened. She offered words when she could, but she mainly just sat and listened. Harlow was quiet now, her anger starting to simmer down slowly. It took too much energy to be angry at everything, but being company for a little girl took none.

Kiran didn't bother to speak to her when he delivered her meals after the first time. Even when Harlow screamed for him to release the child, he just seemed not to care. Of course this didn't surprise her, she knew the whole kindness thing had been an act. It didn't make the numbness in her heart any more bearable though, she had really thought she had a friend in the world.

She had even screamed at Kiran a couple of times, like a crazed lunatic. She screamed at him about being a liar, and an asshole, and about nothing in particular. He never once reacted or responded. Kiran just set her tray down, turned, and walked stiffly back down the hallway. Each time he took his torch and left, the darkness seemed so much worse than before.

Soon her anger and sadness faded away, replaced with darkness that could challenge that of the cell around her. Harlow didn't use her fire anymore, letting it store up inside of her. She didn't see a point when she knew what view would be waiting for her. This place was just a black hole, and she wished for her death most waking moments. She didn't feel anything anymore, and was glad for it.

When Harlow's fifth meal was delivered, she picked at it slowly. She wasn't as hungry as she had been a few days ago, her body adjusting to the lack of nutrition. Amara chattered to her about her parents as Harlow picked at her hard bread. Amara seemed to be in a better mood today than she had been before. The tinkling sounds of chains suggested that Amara was talking while gesturing animatedly.

"—And my brother is always so annoying! He never leaves me alone!" Amara's voice rose above the dark thoughts in Harlow's mind.

Snapping her head up, Harlow tried to peer down the hall. "You have a brother?" She asked, putting herself back into the conversation quickly.

Chains rattling sounded again. "I do! Do you have an annoying brother?"

"I do— I mean, I did. And he wasn't annoying, he was the best brother." Harlow's voice seemed to shake a bit as she spoke.