Although only a short period of time passed, beads of sweat had formed on Lucia's forehead.

When Lucia finally settled down, the people waiting on her withdrew again. The bedroom became quiet again as if the commotion from earlier was a lie. Hugo felt helpless because he couldn't do anything but just watch.

"Now I'll be fine again for a bit. It comes regularly."

He wanted to ask his wife, who was smiling sweetly as if nothing had happened: How could she smile like that after feeling such terrible pain, even if it was just for a moment?

'She had to undergo this process until tomorrow?'

He was already stunned silly.

However, the situation worsened beyond his expectations. The labor intervals became shorter, the pain grew more severe, and from around midnight, Lucia began to scream while holding her belly and rolling around.

Hugo couldn't ask her if she was okay. She was obviously not okay!

As Hugo listened to his wife scream, he grasped onto the midwife.

"She will get really hurt like this. Do something."

"This is the process of entering childbirth."

"She could die at this rate!"

"With Your Grace the Duke being restless here, the Madam cannot concentrate."

The midwife completely chased out the Duke who was pestering her. Hugo was kicked out under the pretext of it being done for the Madam's sake, and he was unable to utter any complaints.

Staring at the firmly closed bedroom door and listening to the screams coming from within, Hugo's face was as pale as someone standing at death's door. He would later remember this as the worst night of his life.

"Milady, the path for the child to come out is opened. Don't put too much pressure on your stomach like that."[1]

As she watched over the situation, the midwife continued to advise the mother giving birth. From the looks of it, the progress was slow because it was her first delivery. The midwife did not let her guard down even though she had delivered numerous children before. Childbirth had many variables. There were times when a delivery was proceeding very smoothly, then suddenly, there were unexpected difficulties.

An assistant approached the midwife and whispered to her:

"His Grace the Duke is asking about the progress."

The midwife clicked her tongue. She didn't know how many times he had asked this. The delivery had only just begun and two hours or so had passed. She had replied a couple of times to the Duke's persistent questioning of the situation, that it was still far from over.

The midwife was in charge of the delivery of the precious noble lives in the royal family. The incoming baby was very important, but the parent could also not be ignored. No matter how busy and hectic it got due to the delivery, a proper level of tact was necessary.

"It looks like I need to go see the Duke. You, watch over the Madam and if you see anything strange, let me know immediately."

The midwife left the bedroom, leaving her skilled assistant to take her place in charge.

As soon as Hugo saw the midwife, he urgently asked.

"How is it?"

"There is still a long way to go, Your Grace."

"When exactly is that 'long way'! You've been telling me the same thing since earlier."

"Your Grace, I have said this several times. It will take a long time because this is the Madam's first delivery. From the way the situation is progressing, I can tell the baby is not likely to be born anytime soon. So please, calm down. If you get some sleep..."