Chapter 63 The Capital's High Society

After their meal, Lucia took a walk with him in the yard. When they were in Roam, he would often take evening walks with her whenever he had time. Her husband was a busy and diligent man.

There wasn't much of his time that she could have before they retired to bed. So, Lucia was much happier with this leisure time of walking with him than receiving an expensive gift.

"They were all individually beautiful and lovely. Did you choose everything yourself?" (Lucia)

"I did." (Hugo)

Hugo had just packed them up after one glance but it was correct to say he chose everything himself.

"Did you like it?" (Hugo)

"Yes, thank you."

Lucia was more grateful for his heart of giving rather than any jewelry.

"You seem to know a lot about female jewelry. I guess because you've gifted a lot."

Lucia wanted to take those words back after they left her mouth. She had no intention of criticizing him and thought that her words had crossed the line. She felt he would be displeased and was about to apologize for her slip of tongue but he spoke first.

"Vivian."

He gave a deep sigh, reached out to hold her wrists and stopped walking.

"Can't you forget the things that happened before we got married?"

Lucia thought he might get angry but he looked unexpectedly vulnerable. She gazed at him blankly.

"Do I keep mentioning things from before our marriage? I'll be careful in the future."

"That is not what I meant. This is from a while ago but, do you remember what you said when you asked to modify our contract?"

[Please do not go making lovers without my knowledge. If you get tired or disgusted of me, and want to leave me for another woman, please tell me first. I do not wish to hear it from another person's mouth.] (1)

"Yes. I remember."

"I won't have a lover without your knowledge nor will I leave you because I am tired or disgusted of you so I would like it if you trusted me."

Lucia's heart began to race. She didn't know the intention behind his words. A huge whirlwind began to sweep through her mind. She was the one that made a mistake. She didn't have any reason or right to criticize or mention his past actions before their marriage.

It was possible that he had a personality which was bogged down by rules. Therefore, after the legal contract of marriage was established, he kept to it strictly.

However, that didn't agree with the person that Lucia had been watching all this time. He was a wilful person that had no qualms of changing the existing rules to suit himself.

"...Why?"

Lucia couldn't make heads or tails of what he was thinking and mumbled absentmindedly as she looked at him. She wanted him to say something, anything, so she could draw a conclusion that 'ah, it was a meaningless remark'.

However, his pupils quivered with disappointment. He made a face that said he didn't know what to say. He repeatedly opened his mouth as if to say something then he closed it.

'Why...?'

Lucia felt her fingers going numb so she clenched and unclenched her fists. This man in front of her. He was hurt.

The man whom Sir Krotin was so confident of, that no one under the sky could hurt even his fingers, was now in pain from her short words.

A long time ago, Lucia had once felt like this. When she had sharply told him that she would never fall in love with him, just for a short moment, she peeked at his pain.