Chapter 53 The Taran Duke's Family Doctor

"Welcome, Kate."

Although Kate was visiting without any prior notice, Lucia greeted her with a light hug and welcomed her in happily. The friendship of the two was just as before.

Despite the gap that existed between them as Duchess and daughter of a vassal, both of their personalities were able to destroy those barriers. With Lucia who didn't assert her authority as Duchess and Kate who was straightforward and didn't take advantage of her friendship with the Duchess, they simply treated each other as one person to another.

"Do you feel better now?" (Lucia)

"Yes. I have completely recovered so I came to see you.". (Kate)

Kate had been stuck at home for nearly a month due to a cold fever.

"I wanted to go see you but...I'm sorry."

Lucia was unable to go because Hugo completely refused to allow it. Even when she tried to explain that it was just a short visit so she wouldn't catch a fever in that short amount of time, he acted like he wasn't hearing anything. Rather, using the reason that there was a outbreak of cold fever, he prohibited outings altogether.

"What are you talking about? You did well in not coming."

Kate could only fear for future problems if she had mistakenly passed her sickness onto Lucia. She didn't wish to incur the anger of the Duke.

On the other hand, Kate was itching to tell Lucia about the changes in northern  atmosphere these days. Apart from having a tea party twice or thrice a month, the Duchess had no other official activity and had unknowingly became a big shot in the social circles.

However, although she was a leading figure in the circles, she wasn't in the spotlight.

It was similar to how the Duke of Taran ruled over the north but reigned virtually unseen. Lucia met as many as fifteen people at a time and the small scale tea party alone limited the public's understanding of her psychology. Her presence was sought at the center of the northern high society more than she could guess.

Kate saw that the northern circles were on the lookout for news on the Duchess and had clamored to her great aunt about informing Lucia but was told off for being too hasty.

Madam Michelle strictly told her that if the Duchess were to hear such words from others before being conscious of her position, it would be difficult for her gauge her surroundings properly.

"His Grace is inspecting the fief?" (Kate)

"Yes. It usually takes around four to five days so he should be back by tomorrow. How is Madam Michelle?" (Lucia)

"Same as usual. The nagging has increased. I'm tired of hearing I should at least resemble half of the Duchess."

"You know she's just saying that. One knows how beautiful and charming you are Kate."

"I think Lucia is much more charming."

"Thank you."

Looking at Lucia's smile as though thanking her for the lip service, Kate didn't stress that she really thought so. Even if she did, it would just be laughed off as pleasantries.

Every time she saw Lucia, she always felt oddly charmed. Lucia was not a stunning beauty but the more one looked, the more one's eyes got drawn to her. It wasn't a luxurious appearance but she herself was like a scent that drew people in. Like filling an enclosed space with flowers, even after all the flowers are removed, the view remained, resonating in one's memory.

"The weather has gotten warmer so I was thinking of going fox hunting. Let's go together." (Kate)

"Is it okay to do that when you've just recovered?" (Lucia)