Chapter 51 The Taran Duke's Family Doctor

Several months passed since Anna and Philip's steady exchanged continued. Anna found Philip for teaching whenever she had free time and Philip admired Anna's great passion for learning at such an advanced age.

Once a week, Anna and Philip went to offer their medical services to the poor and needy. Just like always, they set up a simple treatment room in a remote location at the back of an alley and received a flood of patients. It was difficult but as Anna treated patients with all sorts of diverse symptoms, her skills dramatically increased.

"Look here, don't you think the stupid thing is to say you ate mugwort to make medicine?"

The voice of a hot-tempered middle-aged wife rang out loudly. The simple treatment room had two tables set slightly apart and in between them, a thin cloth acted as a wall. So when one raised their voice a little bit, one could be heard from the other side.

On the other side of the wall, Anna payed attention to the audible voice of the patient who came to Philip.

"Did I know and eat it? I only knew it had wild herbs."

"Are your eyes crooked? How does that thing look like herbs!"

"Why did you leave it in the kitchen then!"

Mother and daughter went back and forth, raising their voices to each other as they quarreled.

Mugwort! Anna paused treatment on her side and fixed her gaze on the obscuring wall of cloth. Then she heard Philip's calm voice.

"So what is the matter? Did you perhaps contact an ailment?"

"Aiyo! Doctor! This one ate that thing and her monthly period didn't come. I don't know what to do if this lass cannot perform her duties as a woman so I can't sleep at night."

"Tch, I like it this way." (Daughter speaking)

"You crazy thing, ah! Do you want to be a woman that can't give birth?"

Anna suddenly sprang to her feet. She didn't notice the confused expression of her patient who was being treated. Anna lifted the wall made of cloth and went into the other partition.

Philip glanced at Anna once then spoke to the patient.

"I cannot treat you if you're making so much fuss. Quiet down. How much mugwort did you eat?"

"About as much as a side dish? I mixed it up with vegetable and ate it." (Patient)

Her mother next to her: 'This crazy-! How can you happily eat that foul-tasting thing and call it vegetable? Aiyo, I didn't give birth to a human, I birthed a good-for-nothing. Ai! I can't live in peace.'

She continued to grumble inwardly.

"When did you have your first menstruation?" (Philip)

"I think the year before last?"

"You didn't keep eating the mugwort, did you?"

"No."

"Then, this is just a temporary state, your menses will start again next month. So you don't need to be worried. You too, Mother."

Both mother and daughter were in disbelief so they had to be persuaded and promised several times before they left.

"What's wrong, Anna? Is there a patient with a problem?" (Philip)

"...No. I'll tell you later."

After they finished giving free treatment and the day was darkening into night, the two returned to drink tea at Philip's residence.

"Earlier...I mean the patient who took mugwort. That was my first time seeing a such a symptom but Sir Philip seemed to know all about it. I know mugwort has a hemostatic effect but for that to stop menstruation? How could that be when the blood from menstruation and the blood from wounds are from completely different structures?" (Anna)