Chapter 86 Memories of Mother

Lucia sat in the receiving room using her free time till dinner to embroider a handkerchief. Her embroidery skill had improved quite a bit. In the past, the embroidery of Damian's name at the edge of the handkerchief looked quite nice from afar but up-close, it looked less intricate. Now, even on a closer look, there was almost no misalignment.

'I'll send some books along with the handkerchief this time. There are good books for the child to read.'

It had almost been a year since she first saw Damian in the north. Because the child grew so fast, Lucia wondered how much he had grown. When could Damian be brought to the capital? His heartless father would never bring up Damian first if Lucia did not ask.

'Tea parties are good for public opinion if you makes good relationships. I have to work hard for Damian. The child's position is bound to be rejected. I have to make a path.'

It wasn't something she could avoid by saying meeting people was too complicated. As she embroidered, Lucia affirmed the responsibility that she should have as the mother of a child.

"Milady."

Jerome came in audibly and began to talk.

"Master sent a message. He said his return today is likely going to be later than expected. And although it will be a little later than dinner time, he wishes to have dinner together."

"Is that so?" (Lucia)

Yesterday, he told her he would probably be late today. Hearing that he was unexpectedly coming back earlier, Lucia felt better. Seeing the glow on his Mistress's face, Jerome turned his head and laughed.

The couple's show of love wasn't fazed by the servants and it grew stronger day by day. Usually, the madam was swept up in his master's pace but the madam did not show active dislike as before.

The overflowing affection between their masters had quietly affected the servants. Today, Jerome received a resignation from a maid. The maid was getting married. This was already the third case.

"Jerome. Are there still party invitations for me these days?" (Lucia)

"Yes, Milady. They are increasing more and more."

"Exclude balls or large scale gatherings. Pick out invitations for mainly small tea parties."

"Yes, Milady."

Jerome fixed his gaze on the handkerchief that Lucia was embroidering. The handkerchief with flower embroidery that his master always carried in his coat flashed into his mind.

His master's change was really surprising. He was someone that never carried a handkerchief because he hated cumbersome things. Jerome tried hard to recall the faint former visage of his master. His master was changing from a savage wild beast to a tamed animal. But strangely, the new change was nice to look at.

It didn't mean the Duke was a tough master in the past. He was an extremely rational person so he was never one to nitpick pointlessly.

It was just occasionally. Jerome was keen enough to catch the hidden bloodlust coming from his master. Jerome had never encountered a terrifying visage but he got the chills. It was at the worst when his master came back from hunting, and very rarely, there were times when Jerome felt like something that his master usually suppressed was coming out.

However, for about six months now, Jerome had not felt such a thing from his master. To phrase it excessively, his master who was wearing the skin of a 'human' was now becoming a real human.

"Milady. What do you think of gifting master an embroidered handkerchief as well?"

"The thread I use is thick so my embroidery will ruin a silk handkerchief."