Chapter 67 The Capital's High Society

Hugo was in a good mood because he was going home early.

'Today, we can have dinner and take a walk together.'

When they were in Roam, they regularly ate dinner together but nowadays, it was difficult to do even that. He was needlessly busy with something. When he got home, there was a lot of work to do. At that thought, his mood darkened slightly but still, he liked the fact that he was going home so his mood quickly lightened up.

He would have felt even better if he didn't meet a certain person when he turned at the corner of the hallway.

'Somehow, today is a bit annoying.'

Hugo thought as he looked at Sofia, the woman who was looking at him with wide eyes. He didn't want his return home to be disturbed twice.

Sofia called out to stop Hugo when she saw that he was simply going to pass by.

"Your Grace. I hope you have been well. It has been a long time."

Hugo was forced to stop as he could not out-rightly ignore her in a public.

"It is late, but congratulations on your marriage." (Sofia)

"Congratulations from me as well. I heard you have become a Countess." (Hugo)

Count Alvin, the man Sofia married, was a rich merchant. In the economic field, he was ranked quite high in terms of importance. Since Hugo steadily got information about influential nobles in politics, economy and so on, he had already heard that Count Alvin had gotten married to the daughter of Baron Lawrence.

"...Yes. Thank you...for the congratulations. I came to the palace today to meet Her Highness the Queen."

Hugo was not interested in whatever business Sofia was visiting the palace for. His mind was focused on rushing home.

Sofia was still as beautiful as ever. Those passing by could not take their eyes off her. Sofia's beauty drew the attention of both men and women. After experiencing the pain of heart-break, a sense of melancholy was added onto that beauty, shaking up the hearts of men. Even though she was married, Sofia still received the love letters of many men when she attended balls.

Sofia's beauty did not enter Hugo's eyes. His eyes could see Sofia but his head was filled with the thoughts of his wife. On the contrary, the more he talked with the woman, the more he missed his wife. He did not see Sofia looking at him with a sad look in her eyes.

Seeing his cold red eyes, Sofia was shocked. She was yet to abandon her lingering affection, always thinking 'maybe...'. She harbored expectations that maybe if they met again after a long time, he would also be  shaken slightly by memories of the past.

However, his attitude as he offered his congratulations on her marriage was clean without a doubt. She was the only one that spent long sleepless nights, and was unable to let go even after marriage.

"Then, I'll be on my way now." (Hugo)

Sofia felt desperate when she saw him walk by her without any hesitation. She had a feeling that this was really the end. There was no space to squeeze into his heart. Even knowing that, her hand grabbed onto him on its own.

When he stopped and looked at Sofia's hand holding his sleeve, his face showed undisguised annoyance. Sofia was startled and released her hand.

"Are you...happy?" (Sofia)

He knit his brows, not giving an answer.

Was her question that unpleasant? Sofia thought and felt something flowing down her cheeks. She was crying in spite of herself. By the time she dabbed her tears with her handkerchief and looked up, he was already walking away. The man who walked away without saying a single word of comfort to a crying woman was just as cruel as ever.