Chapter 13 The Ducal Couple (1)

Raindrops pattered onto the window. Her heart felt at peace as she enjoyed the tea scent that filled the drawing room. She was enjoying her afternoon tea time. Rather than her personal drawing room on the second floor, she preferred the one on the first floor.

She was sitting in the spacious and quiet room all alone as if time had stopped.

'Has it been...a month now...?'

A month had passed since their wedding. Of that month, three weeks had been spent living alone in Duke Taran's castle located in Roam. She had not heard any sort of news of him ever since he had taken off on his own at the capital.

"Madam. Is there anything you'd like to eat for dinner today?"

"Anything is fine."

Every day he'd ask the same question and she'd answer in the same way. Lucia had never eaten a meal more sumptuous and luxurious than the food served here.

Jerome watched Lucia eat crackers with gentle eyes. At first, he'd been worried that a princess was going to become the duke's lady of the house. He had worried over how he'd serve such a fussy and capricious noblewoman; the hysteria she'd throw after being neglected by her husband; his head had been aching as he'd imagined the days ahead.

However, he'd long thrown away those worries during their travels here to Roam. Even the knights had praised that it was a first time they had met a noblewoman so easy to escort.

The duchess never even did the things that the mere mistresses of the duke had been trying to do. She didn't unnecessarily go out of her way to oppress all the employees staffed under her to set up a hierarchy. She didn't bother with petty power struggles with Jerome either. She let the people around her do their job, while she lived her own life. Not once did she raise her voice at another.

She was gentle-mannered and tender-hearted. Jerome truly felt happy from the bottom of his heart.

Booong...

The sound of a heavy trumpet sounded. Lucia looked at Jerome with a startled heart. When she saw Jerome's tense expression, it made her fear double. Jerome was usually very relaxed and calm, so seeing him like that caused her a lot of anxiety.

"His Grace has returned."

Her heart started to race.

"Madam, there is no need for you to go out to greet his Grace."

Lucia was about to get up from her seat, but she sat herself back down with an awkward movement.

"I'm not trying to convey any sort of message to you. I'm just taking precaution in case Madam gets scared."

"Scared...?"

"I am unable to tell Madam in great detail, however the task His Grace had tackled was perilous. At times like these, His Grace becomes very sensitive. He always bathes before doing anything; it will be better for you to meet His Grace afterwards."

Lucia nodded and saw the butler out. She didn't know the exact reason he had to be away for so long or what kind of problems the north was facing. She was nosy with the small details of the castle, but she didn't try to interfere into his business at all. She had only picked up bits of information when she occasionally happened to overhear some of the conversations between the knights guarding the castle.
"You can say they're dead..."

"The Lord Duke... forgive..."

She had been too far away to hear all of their conversations, but she could put together that the duke's task had to do with killing others.

'Could it be related to the borderland barbarians?'

Any person from Xenon knew that the North was always at war with the borderland barbarians. Everyone agreed that the reason the northern citizens lived in peace was because Duke Taran was keeping all the dangers at bay.