Chapter 57 To the Capital

The discussion that followed was informal but with more crucial people joining, and looking at the faces of the people involved, it was almost like a cabinet meeting.

After the lengthy discussion was over, Hugo stood up and patted the shoulder of the eye-catching man that was standing at the side, and acting like he didn't know anything for a while now.

"You've worked hard."

The eye-catching man, Roy, grinned as if to say it was just so so. After Hugo left, Kwiz couldn't bear the sight of Roy who kept glancing at the door like a dog waiting for his master, so he spoke.

"Sir Krotin, do you really have no interest of becoming my knight?"

"I do not."

At first, when the Duke of Taran said that he would place an escort knight at his side, Kwiz was a bit displeased that the Knight's former status was that of a commoner.

Moreover, it was one with no manners and unbelievably impertinent. If it wasn't for the fact that Roy was a close associate and former guard of the Duke of Taran, Kwiz would have driven him away.

However, as time passed, his value was brought to light. In the past year, the amount of times that Kwiz's life was saved thanks to Sir Krotin was numerous. In front of Sir Krotin, assassins that tried to escape were caught like bugs and slaughtered.

Knowing of his tremendous skill, Kwiz tried to entice Krotin into being his knight at every turn but Krotin didn't even look like he was considering it.

"What is the reason? If you become my knight, you can receive more power and remuneration that you receive now. You don't want that at all?"

"I don't really care for that."

"Then, what do you get from the Duke? Is it because you admire him as a Knight?"

"There's a more realistic reason. My Lord lets me duel."

"Duel? Isn't that something you can do anywhere?"

"Only with my Lord can I fight to the fullest without caring if my opponent gets hurt. I can't have such fun in another place."

"...I see."

Kwiz felt slightly fed up. Krotin was greatly skilled and no one among his knights could last more than a dozen rounds against him. Nevertheless, it was obvious that Krotin controlled his tempo and adjusted his strength to match his opponents.

This gave a great shock to Kwiz who always took pride in having the best knights around him. But soon, he acknowledged that it wasn't that his knights were weak, but that Krotin was terribly strong.

'Is Taran Gong that strong?'

Kwiz had personally seen the Duke of Taran wielding a sword on the battlefield numerous times. He knew it was great but since the battle was so lopsided, like a tiger in the midst of sheep, he couldn't exactly tell the extent of the Duke's skill.

'And now that I think about it, I haven't ever seen Taran Gong duel with someone since then.'

The only time the Duke of Taran lifted a sword was when he cut down his enemy. When one thought about it, it was quite dreadsome. Warriors liked to show off their strength but the Duke of Taran didn't do so even though he was a knight.

Perhaps because of that, when Kwiz faced the sword-less Taran Duke, he sometimes forgot that the Duke was a knight.

"Who wins if you duel? Have you ever won by a stretch?" (Kwiz)

Roy rolled his eyes and burst into laughter. Those in attendance were now somewhat used to Roy's unconcerned and rude attitude in front of the prince so they didn't have any outward reaction.