Chapter 64 The Capital's High Society

Hugo returned home late at night. Lucia's expression was dark as she greeted him upon his return home. Her gaze was downcast and a gloomy aura revolved around her.

Hugo grabbed her chin and lifted her face to meet his eyes. She was surprised at the sudden contact and became conscious of the servants gazes and turned her away.

Hugo wasn't concerned about the servant's gazes and held her chin firmly. Her repeated avoidance of his eyes was very worrying.

"What's wrong?"

"..."

"Jerome!"

Jerome quickly answered to the sharp call of the Duke.

The butler, Jerome, had been developing new ways to improve his competence and chased away the servants with his eyes because the mood around his two masters was starting to turn unusual.

"Her Grace has been upset ever since the boutique designer dropped by."

For Jerome, the understanding of his madam's mood was now a more important priority than anything else.

"Was she rude to you?" (Hugo)

Lucia shook her head.

"Then what is it? Tell me. What is making you so upset?"

"...I think I made a big mess."

"What mess?"

"Would...Would it be possible to get a refund even now? It may not be finalized yet."

Hugo, who was ready to immediately get to the root of her problem and eradicate it, instantly softened. Hugo was reminded of the designer that asked him to leave it to her. It would seem the lady had as much ability as her confidence stated.

When Hugo released her chin and began to walk away, Lucia grabbed onto his arm.

"Where are you going? I said I made a big mess! I mean, as many as nineteen outfits were added to the dress!!"

Shoes, hats, and so on, naturally came along with the dresses. The price tag of these additions were not inferior to that of the dress.

Not 190 but 19? Why the ambiguous nineteen instead of cleanly striking at 20? Hugo's rating of Antoine's capability went down. If Antoine were to hear this, she would feel aggrieved. She had used all her means possible to sell those nineteen outfits. Antoine had even justified it with the honor of the Duke that should not be mentioned carelessly.

"I have worked up a sweat all day so I want to wash up first. You can tell me your story afterwards."

"If you hear the amount, you won't be so calm!"

"If I'm not surprised, what will you give me?"

"...give?"

"A bet has to have a reward."

"When did I say I was betting!"

"Think about what you'll give me. You have till I bathe and come out."

Listen when someone is talking! Lucia called after him in protest but he climbed up the stairs. Oh, for crying out loud. She stamped her feet in frustration for an unknown reason and turned her head to the small sound of someone clearing their throat.

Lucia was embarrassed. The bill Antoine left behind was still circling in her head so she forgot all about keeping up appearances in front of the servants. Fortunately, it seemed the servants had dispersed when she didn't realize it so they didn't see anything.

Lucia looked at Jerome in relief and somehow, his eyes seemed to be smiling.

"Shall I prepare a bath?"