Chapter 4 Shall We Marry?(2)

The single reason he required a wife-in-name was because he had a love child (child born out of wedlock). It was common to find illegitimate children among nobles, but the Duke wanted this love child to succeed him.

Xenon was a lenient country toward illegitimate children. As long as the love child was registered into the family registry, no unfair rules could be counted against them. However, in order to register the child, both parents had to agree. According to Lucia's memory, the Duke would not have another child with the wife-in-name. It had been unknown whether they could not make children or they had agreed not to have children, but it was most probably the latter.

"I have not planted any spies within Your Grace's faction of people."

To the Duke, her words were laughable. A spy? A mere 16th princess? If such a thing was true, the people in charge of security would need to pay with their lives first thing in the morning.

"Even if you had planted a spy, it doesn't matter. You may continue."

She was feeling uneasy because she believed he would press her for an explanation for all the wealth of information she had on him. However, his answers were surprisingly calm. Actually, he seemed amused at the moment. She looked at him with strange eyes; he was acting so differently than the last time she had seen him. He was surprisingly very patient and mild tempered. It was true that one could never judge a person's character by meeting them only once. A small hope had sparked in her; maybe she would be able to get her message across to him.

"Ah... yes. Like I was saying... If you wish to let your child succeed you, Your Grace will have to marry."

"Thus. Princess, are you implying I should marry you?"

"...Yes."

He laughed under his breath.

"It's not a secret I have a love child. It's an easily accessible information that could be found with little effort. Unless you're trying to keep that fact a secret?"

"No! I'm not trying to threaten Your Grace. I don't dare to have such thoughts. As I have told you, I'm here to propose a contract. I want to show you the benefits you can obtain by marrying me."

He blankly gazed at Lucia and opened his lips.

"What is it? The benefits will I gain by marrying you, Princess?"

His tone was dry and business-like.

"I have no relatives. There will be no need for Your Grace to concern yourself with these things. My status in the royal family is very low as the 16th princess, so you will not have to burden yourself with an expensive dowry. But since I am a princess, I think it will be more outwardly appealing than a no-name noble from somewhere. Although I assume Your Grace does not care about such small matters. I will never interfere with your private life. You can play to your heart's content, no, you may live your life the same way you have been living all this time. If you wish, we may even set up a time for a divorce somewhere in the future."

He was listening quietly, but his expression was strange.

"Oh, lastly. I will not become a hindrance to Your Grace's child. You see, I am unable to get pregnant."

He let out a long sigh. He had to keep his mouth shut tight because he was feeling very uncomfortable at the moment. At present, this expression was the most she had witnessed the Duke display.
"What in the world?"

His expression turned frosty once more.

"Princess, I wish I could go into that brain of yours to see what's inside. Really... no, just get lost. Do you really believe these are benefits to me?"