Chapter 94 I love you

In the carriage on the way home, Hugo was deep in thought.

'It's not something we can just cover up.'[1]

The relationship between the two of them was currently very peaceful. But it was an uneasy sort of peace. Hugo tried to ignore the fact that they were now walking on the thin ice of a deep lake. He wished they could remain like this forever, but he didn't know when and where a stone would come flying in. He needed to prepare a safety device before they walked into deeper areas.[2]

The damned marriage contract. How could he have known this at the time?
Who would have known that in the distant future, he would want to beat up his past self, who was satisfied with getting a favorable contract?

Their marriage started out on the wrong foot. And not tackling the issue would result in it spiraling out of control as time went on.

There was a significant amount of worst-case scenarios. She could hold another man in her heart, she could hate him and ignore him, or she could even stop smiling at him like she did now. He had no confidence in being able to persevere and embrace her if she changed. He might torment her and make it difficult for her. And if that happened, their relationship would be driven to the bottom.

Hugo wanted to go back to the time when they were discussing the marriage contract, talk to her again and bare his heart to her. The time had come to resolve the uncomfortable subject of the contract.

Seeing his wife who came out to greet him, Hugo's heart squeezed bitingly.

'I can't live without this woman.'

"Have you had dinner?" (Lucia)

"Look at the time. I've already eaten. What about you?" (Hugo)

"I know it's late. I've eaten as well."

Hugo wrapped an arm around her waist and stepped forward. The servants understood and dispersed. Jerome had a few miscellaneous things that needed to be reported to his master for approval, but he did not rush.

'I'll get it tomorrow, why not?'

The faithful butler who had never put off today's work for tomorrow, was now no longer living like a clock as he did in the past.

"I have something to tell you." (Hugo)

"Now?" (Lucia)

"Yea. I'd like it to be now."

The two of them went up to the second floor. As they sat side by side on the receiving room's sofa, Hugo was having an internal conflict between his reasoning and instinct. Should he just forget about the talking and get the ball rolling first? As he was conflicted, his body began to react to her soft body that was attached to his side.

"I went to the palace today." (Lucia)

"Hm? Ah...you did mention that to me. Did you have a good time?" (Hugo)

"Yes. It was nice."

Lucia had a lot of things she wanted to say to him, but she didn't know how to breach the subject.

"You know, the day you came to me and asked me to marry you." (Hugo)

Because the topic he chose was so unexpected, Lucia stared at him as she nodded her head.

"Yes." (Lucia)

"Why was it me?" (Hugo)

"...Why are you asking that now?" (Lucia)

It had already been a year and a half since they first got married. His question was too late.

"Because it didn't matter."