Chapter 17 The Ducal couple (5)

A few days had passed since Jerome had been stalking after Lucia.

"Please madam, we must confirm whether you're pregnant or not."

In the end, Lucia gave up and let Anna take a look at her body.

"When was your last menstruation?"

Jerome and Lucia had made a promise to inform the Duke on all matters regarding her pregnancy. The mysteries surrounding the reasons of her amenorrhea would be handled at a later date. For now, the core problem to be dealt with was the status of her pregnancy. Lucia briefly glanced toward Jerome and then answered.

"...Last month."

Anna asked a series of questions to confirm whether Lucia was experiencing any symptoms that were common to pregnant woman.

"It's highly unlikely that Her Grace is pregnant."

Anna shook her head, while Lucia accepted this calmly; Jerome on the other hand expressed slight disappointment. However, before his madam could see through his feelings, he quickly put on an expression of peace and tranquility. He was afraid his actions would hurt Lucia's feelings.

"If you had menstruated last month, it's too early to diagnose a pregnancy. Have you experienced any symptoms that make you suspect a pregnancy?"

"That's not it, Anna. It's just madam had been very fatigued these days so I was worried."

"I shall prepare some tonic for her health."

Anna paused for a moment and started speaking as if she was trying to figure something out.

"As a doctor, I feel Madam's fatigue is caused by something different. Jerome, a woman's body is not made of steel. Please deliver these words to His Grace in my stead. 'Everything must be done in moderation.' She is drinking tonics to remedy her fatigue although she should be full of energy at her youthful age. Don't you need rest after a hard day of work? This should be handled in a similar way."

Anna shared her observations as a doctor but the more she spoke the more uncomfortable the atmosphere became. Jerome became very interested in the ceiling designs while Lucia's face gradually fell lower and lower.

"Madam, aren't you tired? You should tell His Grace."

It had not felt so tiring to the extent of Anna's words. Lucia's face flushed and at this moment, she couldn't work up her courage to speak her true feelings. She couldn't say 'I like that he visits my bed chambers every night.'

"Jerome, if it's difficult for you, shall I be the one to convey this message to His Grace?"

"Ah... no. I shall... deliver your messages. And so... about how often is..."

"Five days. Then, at least one day of rest."

"...yes."

Everyone was so embarrassed but Anna spoke without shame. If a doctor was too shy to discuss about certain topics, then the patient will never be able to receive a proper diagnosis.

As soon as everyone left, Lucia walked to her bedroom and opened the balcony window. A gentle breeze blew past. When Anna spoke that she was not pregnant, Jerome's voice had been a little weaker than usual. She wondered if that was the reason for her current mood. Lucia felt a little pang of hurt in her heart.

When she had been fifteen during her dream...

Lucia had begun menstruation. Nobody had taught her that this was a normal phenomenon of a woman's body. A princess was usually educated by the palace maids. Lucia had nobody serving her, nor did her labor maids that frequented her place bother sticking their noses into her business.