Chapter 115 The Beginning and the End

Start from the beginning

When in doubt, assume the worst. It was a principle Hugo kept to whenever he was trying to make a judgement. Saying that he assumed the pregnancy as the worst would be a misunderstanding but basing his thoughts on the premise that the pregnancy was certain, he began to ponder about how a phenomenon that should not occur at all, was possible. He went through everything, one by one.

'My wife said her condition meant she could not have a child.'

His wife said that she could not have a child due to having no menstruation, so she was infertile. And at the same time, she said that she knew the cure so she could treat it at any time.

The question of whether his wife was cured was a secondary issue; in any case, he revamped his premise and based it on his wife being a normal woman that could bear a child. Whether she could bear a child or not, was not the important thing here.

The heart of the problem was Hugo himself, a bizarre lineage of the Taran bloodline.

'You have to consume blood...'

Hugo drummed his fingers on the table and chewed over the words that Philip said a long time ago. At that time, he did not have a hint of doubt in his mind about Philip's words. Back then, his hatred and disgust for his family had reached an extreme, so he thought that the revolting method of ingesting blood that Philip spoke about matched perfectly.

Despite being thorough in everything else, the reason why Hugo didn't re-consider whether Philip really told the truth was because he did not want to even think about it.

'Blood, huh? It even sounds fucking ridiculous.'

Thinking rationally, Hugo analyzed what Philip said back then and the situation at that time.

Philip held his ground, claiming that he couldn't talk about his family's vision then he unexpectedly confessed obediently. Now that Hugo thought about it, it was unlikely that Philip would so easily reveal the secret that wasn't even in the Taran family secret room, and had been protected and passed down in his family for generations.

Philip was a strong-willed old man. It was more like him to offer his neck than truthfully reveal his family's secret.

'So he lied to me. That's what this is.'

There was a cold smile on Hugo's lips.

'The nerve.'

Hugo was angry and at the same time, he was in disbelief. A forced laugh spilled from his lips. This was a result of his arrogant thinking that a mere doctor wouldn't lie to him and deceive him. If Hugo had judged Philip to have the slight chance of becoming a threat, he would have already killed him.

Even though Philips's family had the only 'vision' that continued the Taran bloodline, they were a family of doctors for generations and only had one perfunctory title. Due to being partners with the Taran family for so long, Philip's family was rather isolated.[1]

Philip had no family and his relationships with people were very shallow. Who knew how many secrets the man had, for he didn't even have an assistant. Due to these factors, Hugo took him lightly as nothing but a doctor.

Keeping Philip alive was a punishment for Hugo himself. Philip was a medium to maximize his guilt towards his late brother and his disgust for himself.

There was also the issue of owing his late brother's life to Philip, so with a grand talk of mercy that he wouldn't take Philip's life personally, he left him alone.

'The old man never knew fear.'

He pretended to be obedient but said everything he wanted to say. And so whenever Hugo met Philip, he always felt like filth. The mere fact that Hugo suppressed all that and endured it, showed that he showed no end of generosity to Philip.