Chapter 86 Memories of Mother

Start from the beginning

"Not a silk one but a cotton handkerchief..."

"Jerome. How can a grown man carry this around?" (Lucia)

Jerome's expression was strange as he watched his Mistress chuckling. As expected, the Madam did not know. Well, since serving was entirely left to servants, it was natural she didn't know.

"Even if Master doesn't carry it around, he will be very delighted with Milady's gift."

"Mmm...my skill is embarrassing though...alright, I'll make one with his name on it."

Jerome broke out in a grin. A great butler who understands his master's thoughts. The name of the man who was called to be a butler was Jerome.

* * *

Hugo arrived home a little later than dinner time. Fabian had something to report separately so he followed Hugo inside. He thought of seeing Jerome whom he hadn't seen in a while and having a meal together as brothers.

As soon as Hugo arrived, many people came out to greet him but Hugo was only happy to see one person. He wrapped his arms around his wife's waist and pulled her into his chest then he greeted her with a light kiss.

"I'm back." (Hugo)

"Welcome back." (Lucia)

It wasn't easy to do this in front of the servants but Lucia's face was flushed with many subtle feelings that she didn't hate at all.

"What about dinner?" (Hugo)

"You told me to wait."

"If you're hungry, you could've eaten first."

"I'm not that hungry."

Hugo turned to Jerome and asked.

"Is the meal ready?"

"You can go to the dining room right away." (Jerome)

When the Master and Mistress of the house entered the dining room, the gathered servants scattered in search of their respective jobs. They all had impassive expressions that stated they had something to do now.

The servants had reached the point where they thought that if the ducal couple were together, they would definitely do that. The older servants knew from experience that a frigid relationship between their masters would make the atmosphere at home suspenseful and anxious so they preferred this and thought it was very good. In this situation where everyone was satisfied, there was one person that was unable to be.

"You. What are you doing?" (Jerome)

Seeing Fabian who looked stunned with a gaping mouth, Jerome clicked his tongue.

"...I think I'm seeing things now." (Fabian)

"Wait for me while I serve during dinner. Either you wait in my office or have dinner first, do as you please."

Fabian held back Jerome who was going to the dining room.

"Is it like this everyday? I mean, do they do these goosebumps raising act everyday? Why is no one surprised?" (Fabian)

"Well. They are used to it now." (Jerome)

The end is coming. This is a sign of the world's destruction. Jerome glanced pitifully at Fabian who was murmuring with a dark aura around him, then he headed for the dining room.

* * *

While they were taking a walk after dinner, Lucia told him that she had signed a new dressmaking contract with Antoine. He didn't say anything but from his expression, he didn't seem pleased at all.