Chapter 45 Love, Understanding and Family

Start from the beginning

"What of other rumors?"(Hugo)

"...I don't know."(Lucia)

"You are really such a daring woman. What were you thinking asking a blood-drinking monster to marry you?"

Listening to his teasing, Lucia blushed in silence. Since she was the one that misspoke, she couldn't say anything.

"Is it really okay if I meddle with things concerning Damian?"

"Do as you like."

"You told me not to last time."(1)

"When did I?"

"You said, 'Although it's nice and cute, don't go over the line'."

"Like I said, when did I?"

Lucia blinked, studying his expression which had 'what in the world are you talking about?' written all over it. His expression was telling her that he really had never said that before.

Lucia carefully scoured her memory. When she thought about it, he really did not use the expression 'go over the line'. But he did say something like that.

She had a hunch about something and had been wanting to ask, but now, she finally realized that instead of guessing his thoughts, it would be much better to just ask him outright.

"By any chance...do you hate Damian?" (Lucia)

"I do not." (Hugo)

Lucia gathered her courage and asked this question very carefully and in return, he answered very readily.

"Then...why did you send Damian to boarding school?"

"I already told you. I couldn't take care of him so I sent him there."

"But still, there hasn't been a precedence of a child being sent to boarding school like that. Moreover, a child that is a duke's heir."

"I don't care what others do."

"...What you mean is, you determined that to be the best course of action to take."

Hugo nodded.

Lucia felt as though something had been lifted off her chest. Like she'd been wandering in the dark and her fingers finally grasped onto something.

'I think...I know about him a little bit more now.'

When you thought about it, whenever Lucia asked, he did not delve into a generous explanation but most of his answers were concise.

"Why did you send Damian to boarding school and not contact him once?"

"A report on what the boy does arrives on my desk every week so I know he's doing fine."

It was fascinating. His incomprehensible actions all had a reason behind them and when she asked, he told her everything.

Lucia's mind was racing. To what extent would he keep answering? Would it be okay to ask slightly more difficult questions?

"Then..." (Lucia)

He lowered his head, biting her neck and she let out a little scream in response.

"Can you stop talking about another man?"

"...What? He's your son, an eight year old child. He's not a man!"

"So ruthless. Do you know how much those words have crushed the boy's pride?"

"...Goodness me. I was too rash."

Even though Damian was a child, he was a boy. If she were to change positions with the young boy and put herself in his shoes and someone were to tell her, 'since you're young, you are definitely not a lady', her feelings would be hurt.