Chapter 32 Damian

Start from the beginning

It was the tragic situation of a new bride marrying in and within a few months of marriage, her husband's older son shows up. The Madam's reaction was definitely not normal. Maybe she didn't know the seriousness of the situation or maybe the Madam was just someone with no discretion.

Jerome then grabbed Ashin and pulled him into the steward's office. He glared sharply at Ashin while Ashin was trying his best to avoid the gaze on him, his eyes wandering all over the ceiling.

"What the hell is going on, Sir Ashin?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you not tell me that you would be picking up the young master?"

"That... well, I thought you already knew."

"Even if you thought that way, you should have informed me or Milady."

"...that...His Grace didn't give any instruction to do so..."

Jerome grabbed him by the neck. It wasn't like Ashin was a rookie that had just become an administrative officer so was that something a secretary like him should say? For someone who had worked for as long as Ashin had, he should have figured out the Duke's nature by now.

The Duke had the tendency to frequently give orders without the process to carry it out, and if one person could pass on his words to others, then that was the end of that. He had no interest in whether his subordinates communicated with each other or not. It was all on their heads if there was a problem due to lack of communication. Which is why the vassals of the Duke would often have short meetings among themselves to check if there were any holes in their knowledge.

"Do I have to point things out to you to that extent, Sir Ashin?"

Occasionally, there were some areas where the usually swift Ashin would have his flexibility drop to the bottom when it came to work regarding the Duke. It was strange.

Jerome heard a knock as he was about to continue speaking and shortly after, the door slowly opened and Fabian's head peeked in.

"What's going on? Oh, Sir Ashin, It has been a long time."

"Fabian! It has been a while. Then you brothers can sort yourselves out... I'll just..."

They shared a brief handshake, lightly knocked their shoulders and as soon as the greeting was over, Ashin felt as if he had given a rope to survival and immediately scurried off.

"What's the matter?" (Fabian)

Jerome sighed deeply.

"It's not a big deal. Master isn't here right now, what is it? Didn't you hear he was going to deal with the barbarians?" (Jerome)

"I know. I received a different order so I came here. It seems like the young master is here?"

"He arrived a little while ago."

"Your expression doesn't seem good. Is Her Grace very unhappy?"

"No, it's not like that."

Unhappy? She liked it so much that even her steps grew lighter. Jerome gave up on explaining to Fabian because Fabian would just call it nonsense. He would allow Fabian to see it with his own eyes.

"I was suddenly asked to bring the family registry document so was wondering what was going on. The young master is back, huh."

"...Registry documents?"

"Although I don't know if Her Grace has given her consent. How are those two these days? Is His Grace still in his honeymoon mood?"

"Watch your words."