Chapter 20 The Ducal Couple

Start from the beginning

"No, there is no plan for that yet. I prefer this, just accompanying the madams to talk about trivial matters. A ball is too noisy and complex." (Lucia)

"That is a very good point. If you open up a ball, the younger ones will be the ones coming over to play."

"I agree. Drinking until dawn and then staggering around doesn't look so good."

The noble madams swiftly supported that. Memories of themselves playing around in their youth seemed to have simultaneously disappeared from their minds.

"Please excuse my rudeness."

Jerome came into the terrace as their conversation was reaching its peak. A tea party was an event for women alone, even the people serving were to be women only so it was customary for men to not interfere.

"Is something the matter, steward?" (Lucia)

"I apologize for disrupting your Grace's enjoyment. His Grace sent a present to celebrate your Grace's first social event. May it be brought in?"

The expressions of the madams filled with excitement at once as they exchanged glances. With her face slightly red, Lucia gave her approval and the maids filed in. They all held beautiful flowers in their bosom. It was a feast of beautiful red flowers; roses, tulips, chrysanthemums, geraniums...

It was indeed an assortment of red flowers. The maids began to put them in every corner of the terrace, they put some in vases, then they started to decorate all around the table.

Very quickly, the interior of the terrace was filled with sweet floral scents. At the very least thousands of the flowers were fully bloomed.

"Oh my, oh my goodness."

"I never thought the Duke would be such a romantic person."

No matter how old they got, women loved flowers. The madams tossed away their etiquette and cheered happily. Now that they had grown older, the fluttering heart for love that they had in their younger days had waned but upon witnessing this unexpected romance, their passion were rekindled. Having received this unexpected gift, Lucia's heart also beat faster.

"You say His Grace sent this gift...did he have any words for me?"

The experienced steward did not panic at her question.

"He hopes that you take kindly to the theme for today's present."

Lucia's eyes widened slightly then she gave the steward a soft smile.

"You've done well, Steward. I would like to give his Grace my thanks personally."

Continuously, till the tea party ended, the noble women mentioned how envious they were of her. Surrounded by them and their words, Lucia's face reddened till it looked like one of the flower petals. Lucia gave each one of them a bundle of flowers to take with them as they made their leave.

Even then, there were still many flowers remaining. The noble madams returned to their homes, extremely satisfied with the beautiful present that was neither overbearing nor lacking.

"You've worked hard, your Grace. Looking at the bright expression on the faces of the noble madams, it seems that they all enjoyed the tea party."

"I also enjoyed myself and you too have worked hard, Jerome. But, I have something to ask."

In that instant, Jerome's shoulders stiffened. These days, her Grace rarely went on the offensive.

"...Yes, your Grace."

"The flower present. His Grace did not order it, right?"

"What?"

Jerome frantically exclaimed despite himself and asked her a question. As Jerome slowly turned pale from astonishment, Lucia couldn't help but chuckle.