15

Beanie was thrilled that the refrigerator was stocked with Hadley's home-cooked food. He carefully read the feeding schedule on the front of the fridge. Onus seemed intrigued, curious about this new lodger. He eyed him from afar and slowly flicked his tail back and forth.

"Me and Onus are really going to eat good while we are on vacation."

"I hope so, Beanie. Just remember to use the little scoop I gave you to clean out the litter box. If you keep Onus fed and his litter box clean, he'll be happy. If he pulls any stunts, don't worry. It's not your fault. Onus grows some pretty wild hairs. If he gets it into his head to be bad, it's just his nature. Remember, cats are unpredictable. Whatever that cat does is not your fault. I won't be mad. Okay?"

"Okay, Hadley."

She dug out her suitcase from the dark recesses of the top of her closet. She threw what she thought she needed into the bag and hauled it to the car. She always prided herself on her ability to travel light. Harry had often commented that she could pack faster than any woman he had ever seen. But there was no mystery in her system. She figured if she forgot anything, she could always pick it up at a box store near where she was staying. No use sweating the small stuff.

Hadley phoned Maury and told her there was a change in plans. Lou Edna would be tagging along.

Anxious that her little sister would be furious, Hadley played it up big time.

"She's a wreck," Hadley said. "A mess. Falling apart at the seams. You know how she gets. Another year older and Lou Edna acts like the world is ending. She's threatening to hole-up for days and do nothing but watch the shopping shows and run up her credit card bill."

"Bless her heart. She always was a little high strung. I know she has a hard time with birthdays," said Maury. "But she's still such a good-looking gal. She looks ten years younger than she really is, Hadley. Not like me and you."

"Thanks," said Hadley.

"You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do. Lou Edna has always kept herself up. Makeup and the whole nine yards. She's still got her figure. She works out at home."

"She always looks like she's stepped right out of a bandbox."

"I know," said Hadley. "Uh, Maury."

"What."

"I kind of let it slip that you and I were going on a little road trip. I'm afraid Lou pounced on that faster than green sticks to money."

"She's coming along, too."

"Uh-huh."

"Don't worry about it," said Maury.

Hadley smiled with relief.

"Lou Edna's a good friend, and from what you've told me, she a good friend who needs some good friends. We can be there for her, Hadley. If she needs cheering up on her birthday, it's the least we can do."

"Oh, Maury. I'm glad you see it that way."

"It'll be fun, Hadley," Maury said. "Just like old times."

"Don't let Lou hear you say that. Maybe you can rephrase it to new experiences or something like that."

"Got it," said Maury. "No references to age or old."

Hadley rubbed Onus on the head one last time before setting off. Surprisingly, the old tabby accepted her loving gesture without batting her hand away. Hadley smiled.

"Time to go," Hadley said. "You boys be good. I'll see you soon."