6

It was no use. No matter what tactic Maury tried, Hadley would not budge an inch. She had promised Bill she would not discuss any of the details with anyone. Not even her sister.

"Did you catch the news from the courthouse steps today? I can't add anything," Hadley said.

Maury was fuming.

"But Hadley," Maury began.

"No ifs. No ands. No buts about it," Hadley said. "I can't tell you. I can't! I gave my word. If I told you, and you inadvertently let something slip, Bill would know. He'd never forgive me. I would lose his trust, Maury. His trust. I can't risk that. Please, understand."

"I understand," Maury said petulantly. "I understand perfectly. You have sided against your own sister, Hadley. Your blood! I think this is ridiculous! You don't trust me enough to confide in me."

"Maury," Hadley cried in exasperation, "you're being impossible! Didn't you hear a word I just told you? I said I wouldn't say a word to anyone. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. You're making this all about you, and it's not about you, Maury. It's about an investigation. About keeping your word. About . . . Where are you going?"

"I'm going home," Maury said. "It's not about me! I'm being impossible! You make me sound like the most self-centered biddy on earth!"

"But Maury," Hadley started.

"Don't bother being condescending either! And don't look so shocked! I do know a few five-dollar words even if I was the one who didn't go to college!"

"Calm down," Hadley said.

"I'll do no such thing," Maury said. "This dumb blabbermouth you call your little sister has had about all she can stand! You act like it's straight from Maury's mouth to Tell-Adele's ears, and from there, to the six o'clock news."

"Maury! Be reasonable," Hadley said. "I didn't say you were a blabbermouth. And you're certainly not dumb."

Maury grabbed her purse and headed out the door.

"Leave me alone, Hadley," Maury shouted. "Just leave me alone!"

Maury slammed the door.

"Well, Onus," Hadley said, "looks like I handled that about as well as if I'd served rotgut at a church social."

Meow.

"That's right," Hadley said. "She'll get over it, I guess."

Onus turned and walked out of the room.

"I hope," Hadley said to the empty room.

Hadley slowly made her way through the house, checking the windows and doors to be sure they were locked. She moved like an old woman. After today, she felt like one. She went back and checked all the locks a second time.