10

Hadley got up early and brewed a large pot of coffee. Onus had been fed and was nowhere to be found. She heard a 'thump' in the laundry room. It had to be Onus. Either that or a fifteen-pound rat.

"Onus," she called, making her way to the back porch. "What in the world?"

The cat was looking up at her through the cuff of a dirty sweatshirt. The laundry basket was overturned, and dirty clothes were strewn across the floor.

"You've managed to get stuck again, haven't you?"

The sleeve provided a nice body sock for the tabby. The only problem was the cuff was smaller than he'd expected.

"What am I going to do with you?" Hadley asked.

She tried to help the cat out of his predicament, but it was proving difficult.

"Onus, you're stuck in forward gear. That's your problem. No reverse. You leave me no choice but to kill the shirt."

Hadley retrieved a pair of sewing shears and cut the sleeve of the shirt at the shoulder. She grabbed the sleeve at the large end and pulled it off the cat.

"Now, stay out of trouble, will you?"

She went to the porch and grabbed the morning paper. She scanned the front page and learned nothing new about the dead woman in Harry's stream. On page two, an ad caught her attention. It was for the scenic VistaView Motor Court just over the county line. She studied the photo closely.

Surround yourself in the luxury of Art Deco grandeur. Step back in time to the days when America was young and anything seemed possible. Relax and unwind. It doesn't matter if it is rain or shine. Let your worries dissolve in the crystal waters of the glorious indoor and outdoor pools. Feast on delicious delicacies at the Skyway Grill while taking in the grand view of the surrounding mountain peaks that reach for the clouds. Take time to renew and re-energize – all at great rates!

That was what the advertisement said. It promoted a Staycation package deal for folks who needed a getaway but did not want to travel far from home.

The old place looked renewed and restored. An idea struck her like a bolt from heaven.

Just the ticket, thought Hadley.

She grabbed her phone and punched in the number at the bottom of the advertisement.

"VistaView Motor Court. This is Ashley. How may I help you?" said the voice on the other end of the line.

"Hi," said Hadley. "I saw your ad in the morning paper, and I was wondering if you had any rooms available for this weekend."

She talked to the receptionist for a few moments.

"That sounds wonderful," said Hadley. "I'll see you then."

The arrangements were made.

***

The VistaView was an architectural wonder in its day. It was a place with a long history and a very colorful past. Built during the days of Prohibition, the motor court straddled the line dividing two counties. 

The designer was an imaginative man, rumored to have ties to the infamous gangster, Al Capone. The place was constructed as a hideout for lawbreakers, for trysts, and for anyone else looking for a hole to crawl into until the heat died down. 

 Rumors abounded of an undiscovered underground speakeasy and dance hall. There were stories of buried treasure from the days of gangsters, shootouts, and bank robberies.

It was a thug's paradise. 

The little cottages provided discreet lairs for whatever you wished to do. Rumor was that a maze of hidden passages and escape tunnels beneath the place provided easy escape routes from revenuers or local police. 

Folks still spoke of hidden rooms including one large enough to conceal a car filled with illegal booze and guns. Privacy and secrecy were paramount at the VistaView. Each suite was built with its own separate garage, complete with a solid garage door.

As time passed, the old motor court became a favorite rendezvous spot for adults and teenagers. In fact, it was the raptures of forbidden sex that kept the place from falling into bankruptcy. The scandals of the past were pushed aside as tourism took hold in the county. Remodeling was going to transform the old no-tell motel into a premier resort.

She grabbed her flip phone and speed dialed her sister.