Chapter Twenty Four - October 18, 2019 [✔]

Zeriah asked me about the party beforehand, "Are you sure you want to go to this party?"

"It'll be fine." I gave her a half-shrug.

Penelope gave me a silver necklace —a simple chain with a Z as the pendant—and inside was a camera with audio and video recording capabilities. We connected the camera to an app. Every five minutes, the camera stopped recording, loaded the video to the app via the cloud, and recorded again. The necklace lined the collar of my black turtleneck. Hidden in plain sight. It gave spy cam a new meaning.

Henry dropped me off in front of an abandoned warehouse. It was made of brick and concrete, and had a large metal door that was rusted and covered in graffiti. The windows were all boarded up.

The warehouse was surrounded by a chain-link fence, and there was a sign that said 'No Trespassing'. However, the fence was rusted and there were several places where it was broken. The sign was also covered in graffiti.

Henry rolled down his window, "I hear music in the distance. An abandoned warehouse? What kind of party is this?"

"I'll be fine." I shut the car door behind me. He was asking too many questions. Questions I didn't have the answer to. He drove off before doubts could creep into my mind. I was prepared. Penelope and I went over everything thrice. The plan was perfect. I had one job.

Record.

I knocked on the front door. Stupid of me, my knocks were no match for the loud music.

I called Kenna through Bloqi.

No answer.

Was her phone off?

How long would I wait out here until someone answered the door? I didn't know who else was in attendance. There was no one I could call.

I found a nice sized rock. It was mostly concrete.

"I'm sorry rock, but I need you." I lugged it at the front door.

Boom!

Heidi, one of Kenna's besties, swung the door open. She wore blonde box braids that ended halfway down her back. Alice was not too far behind. They wore matching purple cardigans.

I met them once in the bathroom that day, and I couldn't wrap my mind around how to interpret the conversation we had. Did they find the comeback I said to Eric funny or did they find me funny? Were they laughing with me or at me?

There was no time for rumination.

I was here. From this moment, there was no turning back.

I moved closer.

Alice's eyes searched my person until she found what she was looking for. "Phone." She held her hand out.

I unzipped the fanny pack around my waist with jittery hands and gave her the phone. I couldn't fuck this up. I couldn't. I was in their territory and was compelled to follow their rules. Alice tossed my phone into a box and carried it elsewhere.