Chapter 13.2 - September 5, 2019

I wish I could've been a knight in shining armor for myself on my birthday

I wish I could've been a knight in shining armor for myself on my birthday. I remembered it like it was yesterday.

<<

"Hey, no cutting!" The guy at the front of the line grabbed my arm.

His clean fingernails pressed into my skin.

He smelled like a forest crossed with Feta cheese.

Do something!

Wyatt inserted himself between us. "Back off!"

Why did I stand there, petrified?

I should've moved.

I should've said something.

Anything.

>>

Defending other people was easier than defending myself. I didn't have to think, my body moved of its own volition. Words escaped my mouth before I could second guess them.

I found myself thrown in the mix that was Kenna, Alice, and Heidi. They were her closest friends. Kenna said I had to be there when she told them what happened. Her exact words: 'you just gotta!'

"Da creep said sum 'calculate the average velocity of my dick in your mouth' like a Khaleesi couldn't focus on da damn assignment afta dat!" Kenna brushed her edges in the bathroom mirror. She spoke so fast I almost missed the Game of Thrones reference.

Alice sat on the edge of the sink, her feet swinging back and forth. She hung on to Kenna's every word. Most people did.

Alice asked, "He still on dat fodd?"

Heidi took her earrings out. "Say. The. Word. On Alu-fuckin-rozor!"

Kenna yelled, "Hol' her back, Denny!! Hol' her back."

Denny?

I wrapped an arm around Heidi's petite frame as she fought the air.

Her box braids slapped my neck.

She gave an imaginary Eric a swift kick to the balls.

I chuckled as she did a combination of moves I couldn't describe.

Pulled his ear?

Bit his nose?

Poked his eyes out?

No clue.

"Denny said sumtin' reallll crafty cuz Eric was like," Kenna crossed her arms and pushed all the expression out of her face. "Frinxed as fuuuck!"

I was on the fence. The nickname was cute but when did we get close enough for nicknames. Were we friends? I couldn't be friends with her. 

Defending her in class, a controlled environment, was one thing, but openly claiming her as a friend was totally different. If it got to that point I'd no longer be able to hide this from Wyatt.

She beckoned. "Tell em!"

"Wellll," My face heated up. "I told him he looked like the type of guy to try to suck his own dick."

Alice's jaw dropped.

Heidi nudged my side with her shoulder, "Ooooh you freakyy!! I love it!!!"

Someone entered the bathroom, a yellow ID hung on her neck.

Sophomore.

"She don't need to hear this," Alice whispered.

Without a word our chatter quieted. Heidi tucked her earrings into a miniature earring case. Alice hopped off the sink. Kenna tightened her high puff. I grabbed a hand-sized spray bottle with Egromin oil and water mixed in it and sprayed my scalp.

Remember to schedule an appointment with Toya this weekend.

Exiting the bathroom, Karolina walked in the hallway, and an awful dryness settled in my throat. How could I explain walking with Kenna, Alice, and Heidi?

Karolina waved, "Hi, Zaydence!"

"See you Denny," Kenna nodded. The three of them parted the crowded hallway with their mere presence.

Karolina slinked her arm around mine. "I was wondering,"

Wondering, wondering, wondering, what? What is she wondering? Why wonder?

Did she know that Wyatt didn't like Kenna? Was she supposed to know? Was it a secret? Was I in the clear? What if she was telling him now?

I looked past her ponytail at the phone in her hands.

It's okay.

It's okay.

It's pinterest.

You're okay.

You're okay.

Stop worrying.

Stop. Stop. Stop.

Jodie—located in the NW corner of the school on the top shelf of my locker—was too far. It was impossible to retrieve it and be on time for second period.

"Mmm,"

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, Wyatt has soccer practice,"

"Shoppiiiing! Hoco!!! Dresses!!!" Her eyes lit up, "Or suits!!"

Karolina rambled all the way to AP Salsingo History. The words she strung into sentences looped and knotted themselves. To which I responded with half-assed mhmms.

During class, my hands itched a great deal as if an ant colony marched on my palm lines.

This is torture.