Chapter Four - July 11, 2019 [✔️]

Henry—against his wishes—drove me to Milsed, a neighborhood in the west side of Salsingo under the guise that I was thrift shopping. Thrifting was the new trend on Nalorn. I liked to shop, even at stores Milo didn't work at.

When we ran out of gas, I offered to pay for it and bought several cans of iced tea, with a big bag of popcorn underneath. As soon as he dropped me off at home, I hid it. That was at 11 AM—almost three hours ago.

White cheddar popcorn tasted like a new book smell. Cheesy crunchy goodness. I couldn't wait another minute. I speed-walked to my walk-in closet and touched the corner where my clothes met the shelf.

"The fuck?" I shoved all of the clothes to one side. Chinos and cargo pants unraveled, godet skirts fell to the closet floor.

IT'S GONE!

I patted the space behind my one-size-too-small jeans.

NO.

NO.

NO.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

NOOOOO!

I squished a jacket to my face and screamed.

Where is it?

I snatched Jodie off of my nightstand and rubbed her exterior over and over. The weight of the rock in my hand was soothing. My thumb was red.

You're okay.

You're okay.

Calm down.

You'll be fine.

It's just food.

I crept down the disorienting staircase. My organs lurched to the beat of "bloodstains" by 100 gecs.

I'll hang with this old feeling,

treat it like another friend

We'll sit and watch some Bizore videos,

we're staying in

Zeriah and Mom sat in the dining room. The evidence was on the table.

I seated myself. A mosh pit started inside of me.

"Zaydence," Mom spat my name out like bad kombucha.

"Mom," I focused on the whir of the ceiling fan.

Seven blades.

"You had the gall to spend hard earned money on this garbage!" she stabbed the innocent popcorn, and began to rant.

Seven synchronized air swimmers.

Dustless. Smooth.

Walnut brown.

Mom folded her hands, "From now on, I want receipts for everything you buy."

"It's a waste of paper," Zeriah held a hand to her chest. The idea physically pained her.

Now she wanted to talk.

Out of all of the times she could have jumped in.

"I understand," I responded.

Mom's words poured salt on the wound, "If you understood, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"I'll do better."

"No, you'll be better." she shook her head and entered her bedroom.

The entire conversation could've been avoided. Zeriah could've lied. Why did she always pick Mom over me?

"Snitch," I muttered under my breath.

"Mom had a hunch," she twisted her bangle, "I investigated."

"Lie! I mean what the fuuuck! "

I was her sister. That was more than another word in the dictionary. I was supposed to mean something to her.

"I'm looking out for you."

"This...set feminism back a couple years."

She slammed her hand on the table, "Don't bring feminism into this!" The vase rattled.

A tear jumped out of my eye and the witty reply was caught in my throat.

Her voice softened, "Did I scare you? I didn't mean to. Zay, I'm sorry. All of this is so fucking draining..."

I tuned her out, wiped my face in disbelief.

She caught you off guard. That's it.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?