Chapter 18.3 - October 6, 2019 [✔️]

Zeriah's POV

Step 1: Feed them.

My power nap provided sufficient fuel. My battery was charged. 

I didn't mention what Zayde told me happened yesterday at all. Instead, I made breakfast, made sure they were all satiated and shuffled them into my car.

Fun fact: it was easier to make people do things they otherwise wouldn't after they'd eaten.

"Family Road Trip!" I called out of the driver's seat window. The album Fine Line by Harry Styles played from the radio speakers.

Once they'd come to, from their post-breakfast high, the protests began.

Step 2: distract them

An hour later, we arrived at the secret destination. For this to work, it required a neutral territory. That house was full of resentment and anger.

"Zeriah where are you taking us?" Mom demanded, "I don't have my hiking shoes on."

"Don't worry, Mom. We're not hiking," I reassured her, "Just follow me."

I led them through the woods to a small clearing where Uncle  Raylon's cabin was located. The cabin had been abandoned for years, but he paid for it to be renovated a little while ago. 

A part of me knew we would need it. Inside, I had set up a cozy seating area with a small table and some snacks.

"What is all this?" Dad asked as he took in the surroundings.

"I thought it would be nice for us to spend some time together, just the four of us," I explained, "We can talk about anything we want here, and no one has to feel judged."

Mom and Dad exchanged looks, and I could tell they were both hesitant. But Zayde was all in.

"Can we start?" she asked eagerly.

Step 3: Make them talk

Over the next few hours, we talked about everything. From our happiest moments to our darkest secrets, we shared it all. There were tears and laughter, but most importantly, there was understanding.

I helped us navigate our emotions. I encouraged us to express ourselves honestly and openly, and we all felt like a weight had been lifted off our shoulders.

As we left the cabin that day, I knew that things wouldn't magically fix themselves, but at least we had taken the first step. We had opened up to each other, and that was a start.

From that day forward, we made it a point to communicate with each other. We didn't ignore our problems anymore, and we worked together to overcome them.