Chapter Twenty - October 11, 2019 [✔]

Dibly Hall—the venue for the homecoming dance—was a large, open space with high ceilings and polished wooden floors

Dibly Hall—the venue for the homecoming dance—was a large, open space with high ceilings and polished wooden floors. A grandfather clock chimed as it hit 7:00. Soft, warm lights filtered in from the elaborate chandeliers hanging from the veiling.

I presented my ticket and received a wristband in return. Forty dollars well spent. Wyatt was right behind me. Nolan and Karolina weren't far away.

Karolina oohed and ahhed. She pointed out the vintage posters of famous musicians and dancers from the past adorning the walls, giving it a classic and nostalgic feel. She said it was like stepping onto the set of Stranger Things minus the gore, and the science.

A giant banner reading HOCO 2019 was draped across the stage. The DJ's booth was set up; he played "Truth Hurts" by Lizzo. She tugged me to the dance floor, tugged being a euphemism for dragged. How could she possess such strength in her short body?

I shot Wyatt a 'save me' look.

He shrugged his shoulders and mouthed 'enjoy'.

"I'm a hundred percent that bitch!" She sang along.

She clasped my hands and moved them back and forth like a really close game of tug of war. We bounced on the balls of our feet attempting to match the beat of the music. Her wedges clacked against the wooden floor. With the added height, we were at eye level.

"¡Coño! Don't look, but look," she angled us in a new direction. 

Fashionably late Kenna walked towards the side of the venue where the juniors congregated. Her straightened hair was taken out of its braided bun and hung at her forearms.

She wore a stunning pale blue dress, a stark contrast with her dark topaz skin, and matching eye shadow. Everywhere Kenna went, she turned heads. She must be used to being the center of attention. The name on everyone's lips. Oh, how that spotlight burned.

"Wow," was all I could muster. I admired how she could pull off any outfit. 

Karolina whispered, "Every color is her color,"

I chuckled to myself. 

To put things in perspective Karolina was the first female friend I've ever had. When we went shopping for these hoco dresses, it was the first time we hung out without the boys. She was growing on me. 

Maybe it was because of the music and the lights, but my intestines didn't play twister today. That weekend at Uncle Raylon's cabin did a number on me. I was at ease. Refreshed. It was odd.

We danced some more during the next few songs. If one could call it dancing. I followed her lead and shook my limbs around.

Nolan cut in and I stepped back, giving him room to dance with Karolina. Wyatt sat at the table with our jackets. It wasn't like him to keep to himself.

"What's wrong?" I sat in the chair next to him and crossed my legs at the ankle to prevent my dress from riding up.

His eyes flickered between me and his phone. He clicked the power button, locking it. 

What was that?

He wouldn't meet my eyes. "We've been texting, and it's like we can talk for hours but then he goes dry for days. I get that he's busy. Soccer, studying, working. I totally get that texting me doesn't mean much compared to everything else he's juggling, but fuck. I feel like fodd waiting for that notification. And I promised myself I wouldn't fall for a straight boy but he gives me these vibes and I just..." his voice cracked.

"You need to know," I filled in.

"I wish I could just ask him. To confirm my hypothesis."  

I had to do something. I couldn't sit here and watch him hurt like this. I placed my hand over his and gave it a squeeze.

Penny.

If anyone could find out Milo's sexuality, it was her. 

She had the network, the intel and the resources to do it. 

I took in a breath.

Going to Penny meant I had to use Kenna, but I liked Kenna; she was nice. We were getting to know each other. Was it worth betraying her to help him?

It would be worth it, to calm Wyatt's heart. You would do anything to make him happy.

It was decided. I would take Penny up on her offer. I would do it for Wyatt. No matter how evil I felt while doing it. 

For Wyatt.

For Wyatt.

For Wyatt.

(A/N): Homecoming always stirs up emotions

What did you think of the chapter? 

Did it shock you that Zayde is planning on working with Penny?

What do you think of her now?