{Plot 3}• CHÄPTËR X

Start from the beginning

"This is stupidity" Astrid called out suddenly making us turn to her.

"Feel free to leave then" Greer spoke not sparing her a glance. She huffed out a breath and continued drinking from her cup.

"For you, one with a pure heart, loyal, righteous. You have the traits of a trusted ally and you will bring great fortunes to your family and to your queen in the coming times" a grin broke out of Greer's face and instantly we all perked up our attention drawn instantly. "But you will have to make a choice loyalty or your life for the waters ahead are troubled, stormy and only the survivors live to write history"

Everywhere was dead silent. The tension was thickening around us as I glanced at Greer, she seemed frozen to her spot as we all stared at each other. He turned to Anaise, presenting four different sets of cards in front of her in the same manner, "And for you I see a choice, to either follow your flock to the roads of their demise or triumph. Your mate is a man you already know and have met, he is a man with an arrow shaped tattoo on his lower midsection. Your heart will take you to a cross road but bear in mind not every green grace is fruitful" Anaise sucked in a breath, her gaze casted down.

He turned to me and immediately my heart began thumping, "For you my child I see your road ahead would be a rocky one, full with trials and tribulations. Betrayals of the heart and games of the mind, your life will be dangled in front of you and you will be given a choice but things are not always as they seem dear one please remember. The light will expel the darkness on the ancient soils of ruine" he spoke on, his gaze glazing over my face. "Your destiny is a great one that will change the course of our history. Love the purest form will correct the course but it will come at a great cost for gold cannot shine without the scourge of the flames"

I felt a weight settle on my chest as I tried to take in his words. The light will expel the darkness on the ancient soils of ruine. A shaky breath escaped my lips as I stared down at my hands on my thighs.

"When will I see my mother again?" Orchid asked, breaking the train of silence making us all turn our heads to her. She looked at Nostradamus nervously, waiting for his response.

"You will never see her again" he spoke in finality making us all snap our heads in his direction. I heard Orchid inhale sharply, her pulse quickening.

"What do you mean!?" She asked frantically.

"I know not more than you do. Than any of you do" he looked all of us in the eye one by own and suddenly he went stiff, staring directly at Astrid. "You" he starts, making Astrid gaze up at him and all of us turn our attention to both of them. "You chase what is not your own, you anger the fates with your foolishness and if you do not retreat from the path you seek to follow you will be the first to fall by the darkness"

I studied Astrid's face carefully to see her pale a little but no words came from her lips. She gripped her wine glass tightly and took a large swing before placing it down, her gaze still casted low. No one uttered a word as Nostradamus got up and started walking away. Immediately I was on my feet following hastily after him.

"Wait" my voice brought him to a halt. "Why did you say those things, to scare us?" I accused, narrowing my gaze at him. Truthfully I wanted to deduce some kind of distrust towards him so what he said wouldn't bother me as much as I know it did. A part of me felt his words had weight and they were true but I didn't want to believe it, I wanted to believe there was hope that he was just drunk and saying anything to torment us.

"I have no intention my princess. I simply said what I saw" he answered not meeting my eye.

"What did you mean when you said the light will fight the darkness on the ancient soils of ruins?" I quoted the line that had struck me the most and somehow it left this feeling in my chest that I just couldn't shake till I got further clarification.