{Plot 2}• Chapter fōūr

☥▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹☥☥▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹▹☥

Hand in hand they walked through the twists and turns of the hallway, his eyes never leaving her. She could feel his gaze burning a hole in her head but she didnt dare look up at him, somehow she always managed to get stuck in a mysterious haze anytime she stared into his eyes. It may have been the mate bond trying to strengthen through their eye contact, she wasnt sure but all she knew was if she wanted to leave tonight she had to push back all the contradicting thoughts that had managed to sip through her mind's walls. Having him this close wasnt helping matters. Although pulling away wouldn't be the best option either, she could still hear the heels of the four maidens following fast behind them. For some odd reason she had this urge to want to seem as put together ans as prim and perfect as these girls made her out to be.

Non of it would matter anyway, after tonight she wouldn't be seeing them again. Somehow that single truth left a pang in her chest. Her head turned she let her eyes wonder over the four girls that had managed to weave themselves into the soles of her heart with just a few hours of knowing them. She felt perplexed, maybe it wasn't a good idea? Maybe she should wait and just confide in one of them. Grea seemed the best option but then again if anyone found out that Grea was aware of Audrey's plan to escape before hand then she would be punished.

No, Audrey shook the thoughts away. This was something she had to do herself, on her own. It was her burden to carry and carry it she would.

                                          ❉

To him being with her, having her so close to him as they walked down the halls felt like a dream. He recalled these very same walls, the floors and the twists he took when he had first met Audrey. He had her unconscious form in his arms, Phoenix had never been happier. Now here she was, walking by his side, like his queen.

He stared down at their hands that were locked together, they fit so perfectly like she the missing piece to the puzzle that was his life. She would fit right in, her sweet and gentle nature would win over everyone she came across. Darius was mindful of the predators that lurked around under the pretense of allies. He was sure to keep them as far away fron Audrey as possible but now it was like he was offering her on a silver platter to them. One thing was certain, she couldn't leave his side, not under any circumstances. She was too innocent and sweet for the world he was dragging her into. Times like these made Darius believe just how much of a monster he truly was. His world would taint her, destroy her innocence yet he couldn't bring himself to let her go, to let his caged bird be free. He couldn't do it so it was no other person's responsible but his to make sure his mate never went through what he did. He would protect her.

"Forever" he whispered under his breath, getting one more glance at her before they walked down the spiral stairs and were welcomed by the sound of soft instruments blaring through the air.

The four girls stopped right behind them as the crowd erupted into cheers once Audrey and Darius's presence were noticed. "His grace, King Darius II and Lady Audrey!" Someone had announced, his voice startling Audrey to the point where she shook, alerting Darius immediately.

Waving them off the crowd dispersed back to their original engagements and he took Audrey to the side. Her eyes wide with anxiety and her habds shaking in uncertainty Audrey was a mess. The crowd was a lot larger than she had thought. Faye had only tokd her it was a gathering to welcome the council, so many people were a bad thing. She wouldn't be able to get away with this many people especially now that she had been announced and her face had been seen by everyone.
Maybe this was a bad idea. Coming here, with her plan. She could be in serious trouble if she was found out.